Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos
Hello All!!

I'm back, from holiday, and A-Level Pure 2 revision, sorry if it seems like I'm never here

Anyway, on with the query:

For my game, players need to know whereabouts the master server is to connect to it and retrieve a list of game servers. I don't have any permanent server I can upload applications to, so I decided to nab some free CGI webspace, namely tripod(hey, it was only an experiment ), with which to set as my persistant 'meeting point'. On the server I wrote a couple of perl scripts to respond to server list queries from players, and to commands I give it, aswell as new servers registering themselves on the server. This used little bandwidth, didn't require much programming experience, and worked relatively effectively(apart from perl interpreters being a bit slow ).
Hi there nice to see you here again (even if I didn't notice for 2 weeks lol )

That sounds like an excellent solution. I'm hoping to make something that requires very little technical knowledge to install so expecting someone to set up a server with MySQL and PHP would not work.

What you did is just what I need, a meeting point. Is there a 'ready made' solution for this sort of thing out there somewhere?