Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asphyre Closure

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    Hi,

I would like to announce that after some serious thoughts, I decided to put down Asphyre project.

As many of you might know, the project started back in 1999 when it was called PowerDraw. It was
    the first one to support DirectX 8 and then the first (and only one until now?) to support DirectX 11.

However, I need to dedicate more time for my family, especially now when the baby is coming next month.
    In addition to that, the spam bots were continuously eating the forums and community have been too
    quiet for some time now. My work with Embarcadero and FireMonkey platform has been eating most of
    my time, so it is difficult for me to do so many tasks at once.

This means the end of Asphyre. If I am going to restart the project of similar amplitude, it is
    probably going to be something different, I don't know.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the project and all Asphyre supporters out there.
    Thank you with all my heart!

Best regards,
    Yuriy
    Are Asphyre's sources available? If no, maybe you could release them? If they are, someone can always start a fork and continue it.

Yes Asphyre sources are available under Mozilla Public License Version 2.0.
    But from what I understand about this licence you as developer must always alow users to obtain souce code bined by this license (you don't need to provide acces to your whole game). So until official site is up and running you can simply link to it, but if the site would went down I would have to provide the sources either by shipping them with my game or posting them somwhere on my site.

I may be wrong since I'm not expert on theese lincesses.

MPL doesn't require you providing source code. GPL does. With MPL you only need to provide changes you made to engine's code (if you did), not actual game code.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    MPL doesn't require you providing source code. GPL does. With MPL you only need to provide changes you made to engine's code (if you did), not actual game code.
    MIT license i use for nxPascal doesn't have even that requirement, if he wishes to start new engine based on mine, it is his right to do so.
    http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    I would like to announce that after some serious thoughts, I decided to put down Asphyre project.
    Wow this is big news indeed!

Well Yuriy, I too understand the need to focus on family, especially when there is "a little one" on the way. I'm a father now myself. You're in for some tough times, but even better those precious times too. Congrats to you and your growing family!

Asphyre is a great library and as long as it's kept somewhere I'm sure that it will still have continued use for some time still. I hope you will be leaving it up somewhere so that others can make use of a really powerful library even though it's development has come to a conclusion. If hosting ever becomes an issue an archive would be more than welcome here on PGD.

Oh how times they change... good luck on your other projects old friend.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12