Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super Heli Land

Thanks, but I need tiles from Super Mario Land 1 for the Gameboy, specifically.

Ok, I've ripped tiles I need for this project from SML rom using Tile Layer Pro (great program for rom hackers) and then masked them (as I'm using pixel-perfect collision, I need mask for each sprite so it won't collide where it shouldn't and collide where it should).

I've also started to code chunk rendering stuff and I'm dying to try it out, but I can't as it is not finished yet. Will be able to post some preliminary screenshots then.

Are you sure ripping the tiles is a good idea? Aren't you violating Intelectual Property rights from nintendo doing this?
    I searched the web a litle and didn't find any information about Super Mario Land graphics being available to be used publicly.

Well, Nintendo doesn't have issues with Mario fan games such as Mario Forever (I don't mean too hard for God SMB1 hack, I mean PC game with same name) unless you want $$$ for them so I don't think they'll have issue with freeware fan game.

While my game currently segfaults, I've managed to take screenshot just before segfault occured:

This is how roughly game would look like. In top left corner you see how game "sees" chunk internally. As you can see, destructible blocks (represented by blue pixels) aren't rendered yet as they need special treating (instead of dumping everything in one big sprite one for chunk and one for traps, it needs to be rendered each sprite separately so game will know which one to remove when it collides with player's bullet). Ground blocks, while they appear to use two tiles, are internally rendered using one ground id with checking while drawing if x/y positions are even or odd numbers and select appropriate tile so it looks like here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    Well, Nintendo doesn't have issues with Mario fan games such as Mario Forever (I don't mean too hard for God SMB1 hack, I mean PC game with same name) unless you want $$$ for them so I don't think they'll have issue with freeware fan game.
    Do you know that Nicker Iron game which is made by Eric was originaly named Missile Command and then he had to rename it becouse Atari acused him of violating their IP rights becouse the name of his game was the same as a 1980 game made by Atari.
    I'm just saying for you to be cautios since IP right violations can lead to large and expensive lawsuits.

True, but isn't that Nickel Iron game for sale? For freeware fan games it is entirely different. Also, as numerous mario games and parodies thorough the web has shown, Nintendo simply doesn't care.

Have you ever heared of the game UFO: The Two Sides?
    It was remake of an old UFO Enemy Unknown game which added ability to play as aliens. And even thou the project was opensource they had to close it down due to Intelectual Property violation of original game.

Anywhay I just wouldn't like to see your project being screwed by some gaming company just becouse they were to envy on your sucsess. It might not happen ir it might.
    To be honest I have seen to many potentionaly good games killed this way.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 25-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.

For those who received my code and found it to be WTF-y (as in TheDailyWTF WTF-y): If you want to post it there, be my guest. But please keep in mind following things:

- Project isn't even in Alpha stage yet and there will be lot, I mean lot, of refactoring going on in following days
    - This is my first game written from scratch (earlier I've either used engines like Unity or game making programs).

Anyway started to do refactoring now and code already looks better (lot of unused variables/functions got removed).

I've started work on animated sprites.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast