Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk OUYA

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Anyone else working on a project or just tinkering?
    My new job will include game development (yahoooooo...!!!!) and I was wondering which platforms we'll use. OUYA is on the list.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Been working on the Game Controls screen for Subject 33. Thought you guys might think this is neat.

Game-Controls-Screen-OUYA.jpg

Now I chickened out on the touchpad for now, nor did I use the Right analog stick for anything yet, but how would you guys use the controller layout to your advantage?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    My new job will include game development (yahoooooo...!!!!) and I was wondering which platforms we'll use. OUYA is on the list.
    Sweet! May I ask what company you are working for now?

You know that's something that is sorely missing as well. A way to see all games from a specific company on the OUYA. I'm really hoping for some big UI changes and feature additions over the next couple of months.

It has also been mentioned that adding the ability to give out keys, like Steam, for those you want to have a free copy of your game or access to a beta is something that they plan to put into the OUYA as well.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

WILL, I know you are experienced dev and all, but that control scheme is AWFUL!

IMO, it should be as follow:

L2/R2 - prev/next weapon
    L1 - shoot
    R1 - Mine

Y - Throw clip
    O - Toggle dive

Reasons:

Shooting is in games pretty common action, as dropping mines is. Buttons used for this should be available for players without getting away to much. Also using index fingers for changing weapons and shooting/placing mines is pretty straightforward and easy to get.

Putting away clips isn't good thing in most cases, so it should be assigned to button where player is actually 100% sure that he want to do this, so he won't throw clip accidentally, therefore Y.

Dive is not as rare action as putting away clip is, but isn't as common as shooting/placing mines, therefore it should be assigned to accessible key like O.

For right stick I'd propose aiming (left would be for movement).

Blog Entries
    Ah... well I guess it might help to know what perspective the game will be seen and played.

Map-Tiling-Demo.png

Hopefully that sheds some light on why I have 4 fire buttons. The game is designed so that movement and firing in all 4 directions is possible in parallel.

I had thought of having mines a separate drop-able without the need to select it as you would any of the other weapons, but was unsure to what button to map it. Or if I just wanted to continue using them as the weapon you have to select to drop them. (These are of course on a very limited supply at the beginning of the game.)

As for the L2 and R2 triggers, these are meant to be toggles. They will allow you to throw ammo clips of your currently selected weapon and activate a combat dive on the run.

L2 + any O, U, Y or A button will allow you to throw your buddy in co-op mode a clip of ammo. Even on the run!

R2 + any cardinal direction on the LS or D-Pad will make the player speed boost into a combat dive. You can do this while already running or from stand-still.

I wasn't planning on getting into the gameplay mechanics so much here, but since you made the effort to help I felt obliged to do so. Your suggestions do make sense for a FPS of course and given the parallels to Subject 33's gameplay some elements are similar so some things will need to be used in a similar way.

Our plans are to create a "good" default and later allow players to customize the controls to their own personal tastes to some degree. LS, D-Pad O, U, Y and A are pretty much set in stone unless we have some kind of great idea that we can pull off. ie. Using RS to fire. But we've not tested that out yet so I'm not sure if it's even going to work mechanically.

What do you think about the shoulder buttons now? Would you prefer the weapon selection and the Dive/Throw toggles flipped? Or do you think that this may be something that is more "taster's choice"?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Actually when I thought about your game, I've imagined overhead view. And still I sustain my suggestion, with some additions.

1. Right stick can be used for aim (rstick to the left + shoot would shoot to the left, etc.)
    2. Y+Dpad to shoot clip in specific direction. No issue there, you shouldn't break hands here.

Blog Entries
    I think your ideas would remove the simplicity of the core player control mechanics. You are now holding or pressing 3 things at the same time to do 2 of the most common tasks in the game. And your scheme doesn't feel natural at all. I wouldn't be able to throw a clip on the move either at least in a different direction from that which I'm already moving.

When designing controls you have to look at it from the player's perspective. What does the player have to do the most and how do you make that simple for him to do over and over as needed in the game. And by no means do you want to try to cram features into your control scheme that force players just to conform to what other games have done.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Humour me and implement it, then try it. If it won't work, you can always change it back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    Humour me and implement it, then try it. If it won't work, you can always change it back.
    Would that someone's whim didn't cost time and/or money. Both I don't have in abundance. Sorry, but I'm not convinced and I doubt anyone else who is putting serious resources into a commercial product would follow you on your idea with very little validation other than you say so.

Now if you would like to make a proof of concept to validate your ideas, by all means, but don't expect people to make sweeping changes to their projects just because you want them to. That's just silly.

I'm all for good debate every now and then, but I have debunked your original suggestions and you have not come up with a decent counter argument. I guess "just do it" seemed innocent enough to you, but it's making you come off a little pushy. I disagree with you. If you are unable or unwilling to validate your ideas with a counter then lets just agree to disagree. It won't hurt my feelings.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Sweet! May I ask what company you are working for now?
    Not sure if we can call it "company". I'll work for a new web-service company (they'll start to work on September) and for the SerieB studio (comics and design). They'll give me work (web programming, in most cases) and will allow me to work in my own projects including games with graphics done by SerieB studio (and also games based in some SerieB comics).
    No signature provided yet.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast