Thread: Another Pascal vs. C argument

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @theglib Why are you resurrecting this old thread?

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    @theglib Why are you resurrecting this old thread?
    He's an old friend trying to goad me into a debate because he misses it as much as me

Four and a half years ago - no longer relevant. Reading it back I'm fairly certain I wrote the references to the increment operator as tongue in cheek - a long standing joke that didn't originate with me.

As for the other points? there are different considerations for a fledgling coder compared to a seasoned professional. Pascal was always the go-to language in academia for teaching programming techniques. Indeed the creator of the language - Niklaus Wirth - intended pascal to be used in this way. It has now widely been supplanted by Java in this role which is itself chosen over C++ for the same reasons OOP was before it : the idea is to teach programming - not syntax.

The points taken in that context are valid. Comments such as "Aw come on that's kids stuff. Everyone knows pre-increment is write then read." are not helpful since we *do* teach a lot of kids here. We're not trying to demonstrate our knowledge - we're trying to share it.

Ultimately you should choose whatever language you're most comfortable with that allows you to target the platforms you desire. You'll find communities out there to help you no matter what you choose.

Me and @thegilb must now play tic-tac-toe where we will eventually discover that the only winning move is not to play.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
    Ultimately you should choose whatever language you're most comfortable with that allows you to target the platforms you desire. You'll find communities out there to help you no matter what you choose.
    I completely agree with that.