Thread: Some gravity particles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    you should not approach this task with a brute force of the CPU, because you will surely get stuck.

I can make a couple of suggestions to improve the algorithm:

1 - use GPU to do your calculations.
    2 - cluster your space (each cluster can contain hundreds of particles). calculate the total mass and the center of gravity of each cluster. attract individual particles with each other within a cluster (or you might create sub-clusters if you have too many particles). attract individual particles within a cluster to the center of mass of the other clusters. this will significantly decrease the time complexity of your calculations (at the moment you have O(N) = N * N).

Can i do clustering, if start situation is static mass that is mix of both gravity types? I think at beginning there would then be as many clusters as there are particles. I'm also not very convinced yet, because cluster's gravity center location is a living thing that depends on each of its children. I guess it would be more of a heuristic simulation.

Another funny sidenote about this simulator, is that currently the radius of the particle mass is 10. But if i reduce it down to 0.001 or so - all particles in very tiny spot next to eachother, they literally explode in a "Big Bang". (But i've seen that before, didn't come as a surprise...)

I think the clustering might work, but with different start situation. Still it would be very rough estimation. Say 50-100 clusters with random mass (mass being amount of assigned particles). Then each particle only orbiting the 1 cluster, and each cluster orbiting all the other clusters. Problem becomes of deciding when 1 particle switches to orbit another cluster, and i'm not sure i could solve it. Firstly the borderline between 2 clusters would be calculated with Newton's equations, spot between them where gravity force is equal. Wouldn't i be doing that calculation for each particle per each cluster all the time? Or each cluster would count and store its nearest neighbours every once in a while.

Anyway that's too much work for simple test.
    Last edited by User137; 13-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.

there might be one problem with using clusters, and that is the diminishing gravity over distance. I am not sure if it is possible to simulate this effect. I might give it a try myself.
    Last edited by Dan; 13-06-2013 at 04:32 PM.