Thread: Chat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    Well, I think iframing it would be better solution (less clicking, more chatting). And of course, it should be available only to registered and verified members of PGD.
    I don't think this would be good solution as many mobile device browsers lack IFraming capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    For cookie issue, maybe it'd be wise increase default cookie length to like 3 hours or so or treat sending message in chat as "site activity" and refresh cookie (possibly last option as it would be cleaner)?
    Yes increasing lifetime of cookie could be done easily. But unfortunately the chat message itself doesn't supports cookie interaction so it can't renew them and in such way indicate forum activity.

I don't really like that chat system actually. Everybody seeing everything that's happened before is a little breach of privacy imo. Doesn't give a very casual feeling from the start. Who knows somebody likes to discuss reallife matters, foods, games and so on, do we need to see all of them if we weren't part of discussion? Also i've been in numerous IRC chats, and never seen a single spammer. I don't really know where your experiences with them base on.

I would really like to see a chat possibility on the main form even as a hyperlink to other page. If I would not read Darkhog's post I would not know about this funcionality.

I vote for an irc channel, Freenode is a nice place to hang around. Also, we could use a bot for authentization, checking login and password against the forum db is easy.

I use IRC often so let's create #pascalgamedev or something!
    No signature provided yet.

Ñuño, while I know how to use IRC, I dunno how to make channels. So if you know, maybe you could make one, perhaps on freenode, then post channel name and server name in new topic and let WILL pin that? I think it would be good enough.

That's a start. I'm now on channel #pascalgamedev in FreeNode irc, using NetTalk client. Chose that 'cause it's free and lightweight, with relatively good features.
    Server: chat.freenode.net
    Room: #pascalgamedev
    It's simple command /join #pascalgamedev
    If there's nobody on the channel, then it's automatically created and you might get moderator status. At least you can register your nickname by following guides you get from:
    /msg NickServ HELP

You can also try http://webchat.freenode.net/
    Last edited by User137; 29-06-2013 at 07:01 PM.