Thread: What are you listen to while programming?

What are you listen to while programming?

I've noticed that I'm coding faster when listening to music, best results on me had this and that

What are YOU listen to while coding?

Sometimes nothing, the tv box, or soundcloud dubstep or classical category

It laregly depends on my mood.
    But usualy I go for Native American Music like the ones in this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNMW...C93D2CFF8EC91A
    Or for some ingame music like Dune II Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVvU...674C54192C8D96
    or Star Controll 2 music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPtK...0C2821EF87B676
    Other times I usually stick to Country, french baladas (I love Alizee), some eazy trance or sometimes even some medival music.

I prefer songs without lyrics or athleast easy lyrics so I don't spend to much time thinking about song lyrics. But I hate listening to radio while programing as I find it distracting especially when they play comercials or during news.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 13-07-2013 at 07:07 PM.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mostly trance and the more chart oriented drum and bass (Rudimental, DJ Fresh are examples of what I mean with that description) and then some early 80's electronica. Mostly depends on my mood and surroundings... I find that sometimes classical is best, but in the office sometimes I just play rain and thunder storms... the noise drowns out the background chatter.

In essence though, it all depends on my mood, surroundings and what I'm trying to do, but it is a very eclectic mix
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

I have a collection of music in the computer. There are disco, pop, rock, metal...

Lately Jamendo is my best-friend.
    No signature provided yet.

At the moment I listen a lot to Macklemore. Especially "And we danced".

Blog Entries
    I used to listen to a lot of Dance and other electronic music back in the late 90s and early 2000s, but now it's mostly rock and a fair bit of pop. I have recently added some Ozzy/Sabbath and AC/DC lately though.

Lately Chicago Radio on the across internet stream. My music collection has been getting a little stale. I made a good collection, but after you've heard the same thousand or so songs over and over, you need something new to listen to.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I often listened trance when coding, some good one that i really liked. But whats weird is that i noticed i coded much faster that way. Worked on some problems, did a little bit of thinking about how i could solve it, put this into code and it worked.
    I worked on my map editor this time. The coding went much easily like that, dunno why.

But lately i prefer silence or radio in background with some talk show or something, when in car and driving the i listen the trance, dream trance to be specific.

But mostly yes, silence, maybe its my age. Getting older and older will make you need more silence. Dunno, maybe its just me. After 1,5 years i will be 30.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    I worked on my map editor this time. The coding went much easily like that, dunno why.
    Nice music (uncomplcated with steady rithms) that we like usually calms us down and help us to focus on the task.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    Getting older and older will make you need more silence. Dunno, maybe its just me. After 1,5 years i will be 30.
    I'm also nearing 30 but I still perfer listening to music over silence. But it is true that my taste for music has changed a bit. Instead of "wild" music that I listened in my youth I now prefer more calm music. I do still listen to some more "energetic" music from time to time but rarely so "wild" as in my youth.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Drum and Bass (classic stuff RAM Trilogy, ShyFX, Dillinja, Aphrodite etc) IDM (Square Pusher, Aphex Twin) or Glitch (Dntel). Don't do Dubstep, although I'll refrain from bashing it

Sometimes classical, more often modern piano compositions, pianists such as Yiruma or Marika Takeuchi are my favorites atm.

But specifically whilst coding, more than anything else; I'm listening to my archive of classic game tunes! High voltage sid collection, module music from the Amiga and the occasional game tune cover done by a band.

But nothing with lyrics, I'm a life long musician so I'm picking out chords, structure etc in a piece of music and hearing words as well is too much to process whilst concentrating on coding. At least I think that's the reason as I don't have an issue coding whilst listening to people speaking on the Radio etc
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.