Thread: Open discussion: What game devs need from Delphi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    The main problem is the way that Windows and Mac OS X operating systems each handle their file systems.
    Doesn't TStream-s have platform based implementation of memory or file handling so you don't have to worry about the Big-Endian and Litle-Endian by yourself.
    I do realize that the way how Typed Files work is platform dependant (based on Delphi-s hint it generates whenever I use them).
    Also since newest Delphi version do have support for Mac OS X I would suggest that this is being overcome in RTTI itself. So far I haven't tried doing any multiplatform stuff as I don't own Mac OS X based platform device myself.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 01-08-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Doesn't TStream-s have platform based implementation of memory or file handling so you don't have to worry about the Big-Endian and Litle-Endian by yourself.
    I do realize that the way how Typed Files work is platform dependant (based on Delphi-s hint it generates whenever I use them).
    Also since newest Delphi version do have support for Mac OS X I would suggest that this is being overcome in RTTI itself. So far I haven't tried doing any multiplatform stuff as I don't own Mac OS X based platform device myself.
    I really don't think so. I battled with this issue myself while working on Garland's Quest looking for solutions. Trying to force the compiler to think differently just causes problems too. This was the case I found while working with Lazarus with both Win and Mac. Text handling is a universal solution across platforms.

Mac are nice to run in place of a Windows machine these days. But that's a highly debated topic. (Cost considerations pending.) Development is still kind of getting there in my own personal opinion. Doing cross-platform really does require you have the hardware or software of the platform you are trying to support. How else can you tell that it's working as intended, right?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder