Thread: Kickstarter just openned up to Canada!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Kickstarter just openned up to Canada!

I just got news that Kickstarter is now accepting Canadian funding campaigns. That now makes US, UK and Canadian countries that can start an actual Kickstarter crowd funding campaign. For most of this community this isn't overly huge news as there isn't that many Canadians here as there are those from other countries, but it's really huge news for me at least.

I live in Canada and have been eying options for public crowd funding for some of my projects. IndieGoGo was always an option, but it doesn't have near the same exposure and user friendliness as the popular Kickstarter which funded some of the biggest projects that went into the millions. Double Fine Adventure, OUYA and so on. There is such a huge following on this site for backing things that people feel that they can get behind. It's probably the best place to put up your indie game if you can wow a potential interested audience that would meet your budget goal.

I suggest that those that love backing indie games on there keep an eye out for me of course!

Any other Canadians here or that you know of that will be interested in this?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Great news.

We're planning on doing some crowd-funding, once we actually get something out in the public eye so people know who we are and what we can do.

That's the big issue with crowd-funding -- success is based on existing popularity. You have to be known for being able to produce something before you can expect lots of people to pony up any significant amount of money for a project.

For small indie devs, the best thing to do is to get a proof-of-concept alpha of your game out there, get a bunch of people playing it, and when they lament that it needs more content/needs to be completed, then you can hit them with the idea of ponying up some cash to make it happen /sooner/.

I much prefer crowd-funding than, say, VC. You get to keep 100% of the investment, and no one can take over your game/company or tell you how to make your game, other than the people who have the most vested interest in it -- your players.

Blog Entries
    That's pretty much how we are doing this. I've spent over $1,000 CAD so far just getting our current content for Subject 33 up so that people can see what the game will look like, get a feel for "the vision" of the project and the story that I've created. This one isn't as going to be as big a budget as what some of my other ideas would be, but it's a great small budget project to get us started.

I'm not a fan of selling off all your IP just to complete projects, myself. At some point game designers need to attach themselves to one of their creations that is near and dear to them. Kickstarter is awesome for this and why I've backed so many projects on there myself.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Great news for all you guys from Canada!
    But for me this doesn't make any difference and it will probably stay this way for years.

Infact based on some conversations that I had with some of Slovenaian software developers I would probably even have problems of selling my software worldwide (someday when I would actually have something to sell) becouse even now you can't create a company based in Slovenia which soley uses PayPal for all monetary transactions. Well I can use PayPal but after every sucsessful PayPal transaction I had to transfer all tht money into my bank accoun as fast as posible and I must not pay anything with PayPal directly during that time othervise Slovenian Tax Office could charge me with atempt to avoid paying taxes. This is due to the fact that Slovenian Tax Office still hasn't signed contract with PayPal for retrieving information about PayPal monetary trafic from Slovenian PayPal members.
    I belive the best option at the momen is for me to register my company in any other European countries (best is UK due to low taxes for Gaming industry). But this naturally leads to many other complications and bigger expenses for certain stuff.

Blog Entries
    Well I was set to do my fundraising with indiegogo before I found out about this. They use PayPal though. I'm not sure how tax laws work, but could you not just claim it on your yearly tax forms like we do here in Canada?

What about Germany? They have a very active games industry there too.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The problem in Slovenia is that I need to isue my tax repors every month and they need to be sent in predefined electronical form. They also require monetary trafic report of your company account. If you have your company account opened in Slovenian bak or any other bank that they have contract for automatic data retrieving on demmand then this is not a problem. But if you have your company account in a bank which doesn't alow them to retrieve the data about your monetary trafic on their demmand then you need to manually submit report for each and every monetary trafic.

Well this was about a year ago, maybe until now this has changed but I strongly doubt.
    Anywhay until I have anthing to sell I won't worry to much about. As the old saying says: "We will figure out how to cross that bridge when we arive at it."