Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Challenge entry - Futuristic rts game

Now it's starting to look like a base a bit.
    screenshot3.jpg

1 important part was finally making that mouse-pointing on heightmap terrain, so that i could place structures (to-be-construction yards) where i point and click. The way i did it was not how i planned to do it though, somehow found an easier way. If i start by getting mouseray - plane-intersection from zero-grid, then moving the intersection.Y to heightmap level, i can repeat the same plane-intersection 3 more times. Each time using plane that is on the height-level of last intersection point. With 4 of these checks it ends up "close enough"/"exactly" to where cursor is on terrain. It might not work if there are hills so high that you can't see land behind it, but i'm not having that kind of camera angles.

Will see how i end up making the construction itself... Showing more polygons as the progress goes? I guess it might work if i sort them in height axis. But then i also need an indicator of a construction site, possibly faded version of the model.

Also made unit construction queue, it's just not showing on screen yet. I'll add tiny numbers on the left icons to indicate how many are being produced, quickest progress and items queued afterwards. Functions are there to retreive all this data.

Seems to be roughly 1300 code lines in overall project so far... It doesn't yet feel like i'd get crushed under in the complexity, and i've been trying to make it very modular and readable. Planning all that ahead is a bit taxing too, maybe.

Blog Entries
    Well holy cow! Talk about taking it up a notch.

How come your other RTS game never looked this good?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    How come your other RTS game never looked this good?
    Yes they did, almost the same 4 years ago (No need to embed, not related to contest)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzDrqhHbwKw

I have uploaded first "bad" version to FTP, just to have something out there before time runs out... I realize i still have more than 24 hours remaining though. The project is moderately unfinished yet, but i have started works on the AI finally. Building production, queue displays, resource consumption things are done. Factories also assign themselves production from the queue and build the unit out from them. All construction shows a nice fade-model and uses new polygon-progress rendering. New textures are also added for the final needed steps; energizing and combat. ReadMe-file in the entry file also explains some of the basic info about game, how things should work and how you would play a finished game.

I guess musics are a must have or it won't feel like a game at all, even though there's not much to play yet Going to add that right away.

edit: And 1 thing i most likely have to abandon is UI for the AI config. Ain't nobody got time for that... But not to worry, default values for the AI config can make up for quite nice game.
    Last edited by User137; 13-09-2013 at 06:18 AM.

I think i run out of steam. AI and combat works though, and it is playable with musics and special effects. Video will come up soon, it's still uploading while typing this:

Aside from FTP upload, you can also test it from here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0x4rokfa95kldw/PGD_rts.zip (Updated link)

Start off with a few small extractors first, then more workers from factory. Extractors produce matter, and workers energy. Don't even try to build larger extractors at the beginning, you'll almost instantly run out of resources and all your production becomes nearly to halt. I could also say that the opponents build strategy is not quite perfect But at least it's trying... something.
    Last edited by User137; 14-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Downloading...
    No signature provided yet.

New in uploaded 1.1 version:
    - Musics rewind to beginning when starting new game with F1.
    - Done the Extractor animations and effects (wheel and crystal starts spinning, and there goes out a energy beam towards ground).
    - Made AI harder, by making it build stronger base economy.
    - Increased turret damage as they felt a little useless. They do have twice longer fire delay than other military units though. Land fighters shoot slightly faster than air units, but air units deal more damage especially to other air targets.

Blog Entries
    Wow looks great! I really like how they build the structures. Very pretty!

Please be sure to upload some videos (at least one would be great!) and any screenshots that show off the game well. I need those to help promote and increase interest in future PGD Challenge events like this one. Video uploading doesn't count towards your entry, it just helps me show off your game better.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12