Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spam continues?

Blog Entries

Spam continues?

Hmm... yeah, I've noticed a great deal of daily spam posts on the site.

Good call Ian. I was about to make the toggle to only allow registered members to post, if I had not seen this post of yours. I've also, in the last few days deleted a very memberships that have been made for the exclusive purpose of sapmming.

I'm getting a bit sick of it and would personally like to report every one of those IP addresses for abuse of service violations, would that I be able to ensure that the IP address that was recorded was accurate and tracable.

Unfortunately, I have too much to take care of before my flight back home on Wednesday for the holidays. So Ian(BlueCat), I leave the problem in your hands I guess, until we can figure out some kind of perminent solution for it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Spam continues?

Thanks WILL, I'll do what I can, have a good flight :thumbup:

Spam continues?

Oi, think you can build in a variation of Captcha! into annonymous posting, as well as user registration? (The default phpbb security image has been cracked, I bet.) It's open source, but can't remember the homepage URL, sorry.

That's really rediculous, I absolutely loathe spam too. Urg.

Spam continues?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCat
    I've just deleted [size=18px]62 items of spam[/size] posted within the last 12 hours :evil: We've been visited by Richard Armstrong, Zachary Armstrong, Peter Armstrong... I wouldn't be surprised if Grandma Armstrong, Neil Armstrong, all the little Armstrong's and even Buzz Aldrin started posting from the moon :roll:
    OMG, we have been invaded by the Armstrong's family!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCat
    Seriously though, member registration is set to 'Admin approved only' and I'm disabling guest posting until we can get together and decide how to deal with this.
    Perhaps patching the forum to newest version was a wise idea back then.

Spam continues?

I've noticed since I changed the permissions that someone has been visiting each forum in turn from the top to the bottom of the forum list (on the who's online list in admin you can see where people have been) and it looks like they're checking each forum to see if they can post as a guest. It looks like the Armstrongs are at it again :roll:

I'd like a big PGD round of applause for our 'friend' please.... altogether now...... 1.. 2.. 3...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :roll:

Spam continues?

This sounds bad, but why not banning him right away?

Spam continues?

That IP is on the banlist now, but I'm sure there will be another tomorrow. Let's hope things go a little quieter from now on

Spam continues?

What happened? I couldn't reply to anything or PM someone for hours!

It ought to be simple enough for a good PHP coder, don't ask me, to check user agents of the guests and log them, so you can easily ban them via PHP. or you could use the ModRewrite code to redirect the useragents/emails to http "moved" error.

I'd post the rewrite code here, but I get a 403 error... :scratch: Doesn't do anything unless it's in an htaccess file and it's not an injection to MySQL either.

Spam continues?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    What happened? I couldn't reply to anything or PM someone for hours!
    Huh? :eh: I had problems posting/PMing for the entire day (btw, what happened to my title? I started to enjoy being Byte Master ).

Spam continues?

Heh, "Moderator" is just as good if you ask me.

My problem was that PHPBB thought that htaccess codes were a MySQL injection, in the last half hour anyway. Stupid PHPBB... :roll:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast