Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 PGD Annual 'The Big Boss' Competition

Blog Entries

2006 PGD Annual 'The Big Boss' Competition

Well unfortunately I had to sort of rush the section out the door to get it out on time for people to register. Some parts of the script still need to be completed, but everything will be ready by the time the first deadline comes around to scoring.

We have 2 judges so far. Dominique Louis and Dean Ellis will both be judging and the 3rd has yet to be announced. Judging will not take place until the end of the competition, until then e will be simply awarding points for achieving the goals set in the deadlines.

I'd also like to point out that both Dom and I wanted to encourage professional development with Pascal, and both agreed that with sending the top prize winner to the IGF was the best way we could have done it. The exposure to all the publishers and media would be incredible. And it would be the best chance of getting a publishing deal on your game and it's engine.

This hopes to be an exciting race for all involved. And I hope everyone at least enjoys the experience and the friendly competition.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Best to register BEFORE or up until the 15th. I
    Does this mean a team/person cannot register after the 15th?
    Is there a final registration date, like with the GDNet 4e4 compo?

Blog Entries

Well in the spirit of being open to everyone and trying to be a friendly about participating as possible, we will not turn away people that want to compete after the 15th, but iwould be best to start from that date to complete the goals we have set.

However anyone that does want to compete late may do so, but will have to receive 0 points for goals missed AND have to catch up to where they will be able to complete goals on set deadlines. The 'Time Management' portion of the competition is only 1/5 of the total score, but it can make all the difference for the 1st place race and a shot at the IGF.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

REGISTERING: EMAIL CONCERNS

Another thing I'd like to note is that we'd appreciate you using your REAL email address without any 'spam reduction' measures, as this will only hinder us from contacting you properly. We will not give out or use your competition registered email addresses for anything other than keep in touch with you about the competition. Read; your email address used to register will not be viewed or seen by anyone other than the competition co-ordinators.

Also, you will use your own email address to login to your team's page where you may submit your entry for the next deadline. It may be useful to only register those in your team that you want to make the submissions or have agreed to split prizes with. Then again, name recodnition is always nice and fair too.

Right now, what information you register with cannot be altered, but that will change eventually when I can find the time to write the script [size=9px](note: this system is new and many parts of it will need to be handled manually for a while)[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Cool, im gonna register right away!

[edit]
    Registerd

The first deadline is in about 11 days to upload an image?

ps: In the links section theres a link to www.NecroSOFT.nl, it has changed to http://necrosoft.gamesfm.nl due some problems!
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

I'm currently brainstorming, i still have 4 days to go to decide if I'm going to join the competition.. I have the skills, but I just want my game to be original. If I join, you'll hear from me.

About the process: do we need to supply an executable or package every week or so?
    Marmin^.Style

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marmin
    About the process: do we need to supply an executable or package every week or so?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 PGD Annual Competition Rules
    SUBMISSIONS: You must submit a working executable on or before each stage deadline to show your completed goals. If no entry has been submitted by the deadline all goals for that stage will be considered incomplete and NO points will be awarded.

Each submission will be either a single archive, compressed with a common format(Zip, RAR or GZip), that contains the executable and ALL other required game data and library files that are CLEANLY organized within OR a single installer that will both install and uninstall cleanly.

The easier it is to setup and run you game on any Linux or Windows system, the happier the judges will be about trying your entry!
    Now that doesn't mean nessissarily that you'll have a deadline every week, but by each Deadline, you'll have to make a submission. Read over the rules carefully.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Yeeha, I'm registered!
    I have thousands of ideas in my mind, just a problem to pick one out of these.
    One question: Will there be a filesize limit for the entries like in the last year?
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

just signed up for the comp.

but im a little consirned about dean's specs, and not knowing savage's 3d card.

will we be marked down on graphics if the judge's machines dont support the features we added (like shaders etc)

Blog Entries

I will be updating the judges information as we get it. Unfortunately not all the judges are super rich and the machines they use are their own personal hardware. Be assured that the judges will take this into account!

If you can support features that will require better hardware, I'd say go for it!

BUT you have to keep this in mind:

The best way to impliment high-end features is to not have the game or gmaeplay require it. Think of it as extra eye candy and your ok. Always set the defaults to the lowest possible 'safe' settings with your targeted minimum hardware in mind and add helpful autodetection features that will tell your game/player which features may or may not be there to use. However do not rely on the autodetection exclusively as it may be wrong in some cases. Instead have it, but allow for manual correction everywhere.

Stoney: I will get back to you on the filesize limit.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast