Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New motherboard, CPU and GPU combination - advice needed!!!

New motherboard, CPU and GPU combination - advice needed!!!

the amd64 3000+ is only 1.8ghz though

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower
    AFAIK, highest Intel frequency is like 3.46 Ghz, while highest AMD frequency is 2.8 Ghz.
    Yeah, that's true, but they have temperature control that lowers the clock speed, so they very rarely perform at their actual specified speed. Where as AMD doesn't, hence faster speed and lower life spans :fuzzy:.

My main pc is running a 3ghz P4 dual core, and I'd be lucky if I even get an equivalent of a 2.4ghz out of it, especially on a hot day :whistle:.

OK, as it's still continues - just mine 2 pennies

Yeah, that's true, but they have temperature control that lowers the clock speed, so they very rarely perform at their actual specified speed. Where as AMD doesn't, hence faster speed and lower life spans .
    Hmmm, you are VERY wrong: Intel latest CPU's consume around 100-140W, while AMD around 70-80W. Next: all new AMD have Cool'n'Quite technology (more often used in mobile PC) and it's much more effective than Intel similiar P4 tech (at idle AMD consumes around 9W). I recommend to look at XBit-Labs articles about this subject. For example, this page: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...64-fx60_3.html

Btw: fastest frequency Intel CPU is 3.7GHz (one of the P4-EE), while AMD is 2.8GHz (FX-57)

If you have not decided about single/dual core CPU - I recommed to buy single core CPU (less power consumption, faster in usual applications). I recommend AMD Athlon64-3000+ or speedier (if you have some spare money to spend). For motherboard you could probably buy something NForce4 based (plain, without SLI, bacause if you ever wanted to activate SLI - you shouldn't have asked these questions at all ).

As for video currently sweetspot should be NVIDIA GF-6800GS (slightly less than $200 in US) or ATI X800GTO (if you don't mind that this card doesn't support shaders 3.0). Another (more costly) pair will be NV GF-7800GT or ATI X1800XL.

That's all :roll:
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Would something like this package ( http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?MBB-N43251 ) be adequate, assuming I get a graphics card like this - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-6800E?

I shouldn't have any problems getting Windows 2000 working with it should I?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I guess its all about what you're planning to do with it.
    Mine's a pentium 3ghz with 1GB ram and a Gefore 6800GT GFX card. Im a happy man since.
    I've yet to see a program (game or otherwise) that doesn't work, or requires lower settings than is required.

And if I may give you a bit of advice, don't look at the highest GHz. If you need to choose between a few extra 100mhz or 500mb ram, take the extra ram.

I planned to get 1GB, as the bundle only comes with 512MB.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I would recommend to add 20 pounds and buy 6800GS instead (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s....html?NOV-68GS). It should have 30% more performance and NV42 chip should be pretty overclockable.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Clootie and everyone else. It's been a while and I still have not upgraded my MB. In the mean time I've blown the MB so I really need to upgrade now.

So what has changed since January and what MB Graphics card combination should I get. I'm looking to spend around £400.00.

what preferences do you have on manufacture? intel or amd, ati or nvidia.

you will most likely need to upgrade ram as well

I tend to prefer AMD CPU wise. With GCs, I had a GeForce 3 ti, but that blew up last year. I just want something that works for about 3 years, so not really fussed about graphics cards, it would be nice if it also works under Linux.

My criteria is that I want to be able to play all the latest current games at decent frame rates, and when the news games come out next year I'm hoping the it will cope with those as well.

Yes I want to have about 2 GB or memory.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast