Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Engine or similar for DX9 and D3D

3D Engine or similar for DX9 and D3D

Hi!

When I finish my project (very soon) next thing I want to try some 3D stuff and maybe I'll do next game in 3D.

But I am not so good in D3D to do all this by myself, a 3D engine or at least a good sample or collection of functions or something would be cool.

I need terrain with trees and houses, animated humans and collision, maybe physics.

Does anybody know something for me to try out and play around with?

Thanks,
    Firle

Blog Entries

Why Direct3D? Why not try OpenGL? McCLaw's RageGL engine is very good. And he is writting tutorials to help explain it all. It might be fun to play with and you can help to build a support community that will be a part of it's direction and development. But I'm only suggesting that because it seems like a great entry point into the project at this moment.

I know that this may seem like an anti-DirectX or anti-Direct3D post, but in reality there are more engine solutions with OpenGL right now: GLScene, The DelphiGL German community(which I assume is your mother toung) RageGL, GLXtreme, etc... there are just more support mechanizims in place for a beginner. Why start out slow and by yourself? If you want to move back to Direct3D and make a public engine for the community then that might be in the cards, but for now I'd recommend getting your feet wet first, but in a bucket rather than a spoon.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have to agree with Will on this. In my experience, I learned most capabilities of Direct3D (pre-shader era) in two years, while it took me only a week to learn most of OpenGL (in fact, there once was OpenGL-based version of Asphyre which we didn't publish ).

If I would start a 3D game development and would have no "framework" at my hands, I'd definitely go with OpenGL. The reality is different, since I have Asphyre to back me up now (it provides limited high-level 3D support already), so Direct3D is the only way for me now. However, your case is different and I think you'll have more luck if you go for OpenGL (you can use GLScene to get started).

Hi!

Nothing to say against OpenGL, I just thought about D3D because I am experienced with DirectX and D3D a bit, and never did anything with OpenGL. This is the only reason.

Thanks for the suggestion, if I find nothing in D3D, I will of course look for OpenGL, maybe better I keep an eye on both, so if you have any OpenGL suggestions let me know of course. I would only like to have it open source in Delphi so I can lay my hands on it, but if it is already perfect, who cares, then I would also be willing to pay some money (money I can afford, not thousands of $).

@Lifepower: I already downloaded and took a lok into Asphyre latest version two weeks ago. I thought I saw one or two basic 3D samples, but nothing special. What does Asphyre support in 3D, what is finished or maybe in the 'pipeline'?

Thanks,
    Firle

There exists many d3d engine out there. Look at devmaster.net engine db. or wasn't there a engine on these forums called leaf engine?
    I only use OGL myself. I can't figure out how to use those silly interfaces with d3d
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Leaf engine is not bad, but supports DX8 only. But I'll keep an eye on it, it is also here in the projects section. Thanks for the info

Firle

Rage GL does not work on my notebook.
    It would be nice to have something that works on older PCs or PCs with old or cheap graphic cards also.

Firle

Quote Originally Posted by Firlefanz
    @Lifepower: I already downloaded and took a lok into Asphyre latest version two weeks ago. I thought I saw one or two basic 3D samples, but nothing special. What does Asphyre support in 3D, what is finished or maybe in the 'pipeline'?
    First, latest Asphyre version is barely a week old. Second, Asphyre has limited 3D support meaning that it can display only static 3D meshes (no animations). Since Asphyre does not require any DLLs (D3DX and so on), we had to write our own 3DS and ASE loader. The time is short so we never figured out how to load animations (and Soulhab left our team, so it takes more time for me to maintain Asphyre). Other than that, it supports 3D cameras, billboards, "facing" primitives (like billboards, but can have any orientation) and some more stuff. It's not a 3D engine though.

Blog Entries

What kind of card/GPU are you using?

Well if you want to learn about 3D in it's truest form, why not use something like SDL(DirectX/OpenGL unspecific) or DirectX/OpenGL as a 2D screen and make your own software rendering engine. It's how they used to do it back in the day.

Of course if you are talking about a GeForce or a Radeon I'd have to laugh because my system with it's ATI Rage Mobile 1 w/ 8MB on-board can run WarCraft 3.

What about GLScene?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I am using a ATI 9700 Pro and an Athlon 2,4 ghz.
    But it should work on every (or at least 64 mb graca and 1 mhz cpu) system and look very well on a powerful system.

Nope. If I am able to do so, I want to create a 3D game next.
    Should looking better than our other games and in tre and full 3D.

Because I am not so experienced with 3D I need some engine, source or components. Should be D3D because I know it a bit, or OpenGL but nothing else. Most important is I need it in Delphi.

I want to create a medieval 3D world with trees, houses, a castle and of course people.

Firle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast