Thread: Hi everyone.

Hi everyone.

Hi everyone, i've never done game programming before .. and actually i started learning pascal (turbo pascal) about a month or so.. Anyway, we use pascal for Programming in the college i go to, and i thought it would be good for me to learn as much as there is to know about this language, and use it to create animations, or whatever that will get me into a 'resolving problem' mode I'm sure that'll do good to my grades too.

Since I'm using pascal, my thoughts went to old games like monkey island, DOTT etc.. I really don't know much, and i really wanted to know how they drew these graphics on screen. I don't need an detailed answer on how to do that, i just need to understand.. how it was done. Did they use pixel per pixel? Did they save a part of the graphic and reuse it eac h time? (I think spirtes are like that?)
    If you someone can just give me a generic idea about this subject, i would appreciate it.. I'm sure at some point i'll learn exactly how they did that, but for now.. it just bugs me

Any tips or hints, or links... would be very much appreciated !

P.S These old games, i think they were like in 320x200 right?

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone.

Hi AbsolutelyWhite,

Firstly, welcome to PGD.

As for your questions, you may just want to have a look around the site, theres lots of useful links, articles and threads in the forums, that can point you in the right direction. I've only just started (within the last month or so) working on graphical game development myself and I got all my information from various threads and tutorials that have been posted or linked to from here.

I'm suprised you thought of older games when you thought of Pascal though. Don't let anybody tell you its an old and outdated language... its very much alive and kicking as you will see if you take a stroll through the forums and is more than capable of creating stunning games... take a look at Birth of America to name but one (the 'Your Projects' section of the forums has lots more links to other members personal projects).

In terms of game programming, I don't think TurboPascal is up to the job (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But you do have Free Pascal as a viable alternative. Again, take a look around the forums as theres lots of information in there.

And finally, enjoy your programming :-D
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::