Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 PGD Annual Competition : screenshots

2006 PGD Annual Competition : screenshots

Well, my turn.
    Now I show some graphics of my RPG-styled game, 2D isometric of course. I'm using a self-developed JEDI-SDL wrapper (see my signature) for the game, the editor will be made with (Un)DelphiX. Here's the shot:

(Bad jpeg compression )
    I'm not sure of using a simple rendered background or a tile engine instead. :?
    An editor screenshot isn't ready yet, but it will look like the editor of my abadonned RTS game project: See here.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Good start however you will need to fix the background as the objects appear to float above the ground.

For your RPG have you thought how you are going to do conversations with npcs? I started a system but I made it too complex and inflexible and subseuqnetly never finished it.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Thanks! It's exactly the shadows I'm worried about. In lightwave this is quite easy. Put all objects together in a scene, add a light and hit the render button. In my game I'll have to separate these elements. I might be able to fake the shadows a bit, but they'll never look as good as these.
    Ps. The grass is the killer in this scene, a 640x480 shot takes around 6 mins.
    I think faking shadows is a common way to do it and if done right it may look very good (and difficult to notice). It also depends on the perspective the object is looked at: isometric view gives an advantage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney
    Now I show some graphics of my RPG-styled game, 2D isometric of course. I'm using a self-developed JEDI-SDL wrapper (see my signature) for the game, the editor will be made with (Un)DelphiX.
    The stone looks a bit like "floating" and not actually staying on the land. I'd suggest that you increase shadow intensity. If you can't make alpha-blended shadows, then at least you can apply old good 50% dithering (chessboard like, every 2nd pixel is transparent) to make it look transparent. A high resolution like 800x600 and bigger would make it almost unnoticeable.

Here is our first screen shot. (After three days lost due to Mobile Game Dev distractions - development has started again!)

Verne-X will be a horizontal SHMUP - based on the Jules Verne Theme.

Nothin much I admit. Basically have a scrolling map, a collision detection system and an explosion maker.

I'm finding testing what I have incredibly difficult without a level editor. So toinight is level editor time. Basically making the layout of the level for now.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Looking pretty good Stoney! Are those graphics done by yourself?

Sounds like an interesting theme cairnswm. I like your new graphics as well, definitely an improvement over the old style.

Thanks Traveller. Not sure I like the new graphics style more than the old one, but its certainly different. Comes from having a proper artist working on the graphics. I however really like Reiners graphics and will certainly use them again in the future.
    William Cairns

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    Good start however you will need to fix the background as the objects appear to float above the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower
    The stone looks a bit like "floating" and not actually staying on the land. I'd suggest that you increase shadow intensity. If you can't make alpha-blended shadows, then at least you can apply old good 50% dithering (chessboard like, every 2nd pixel is transparent) to make it look transparent. A high resolution like 800x600 and bigger would make it almost unnoticeable.
    You both are right. I solved this problem, as Lifepower mentioned, with alpha-blended shadows. I suprised how good it looks
    Unfortunately I cannot increase shadow intensity without changing all light sources.

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    For your RPG have you thought how you are going to do conversations with npcs? I started a system but I made it too complex and inflexible and subseuqnetly never finished it.
    Long chats with NPCs are not planned right now, but if I have enough time I will add simple conversations, like: "Hello, how are you?" - "Not quite good! There is an evil goblin in the forest who is insulting me all the time! Can you please kill it for me?" I thought of saving these litte conversations in a textfile and load them through arrays. I will definitely think more of this when it's time to implement quests and trading with NPCs.

Looking pretty good Stoney! Are those graphics done by yourself?
    Yes. Exceptly most of the textures (like the stone texture) were taken from some freeware texture sites.
    You're making pretty graphics as well.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Re: PGD Competition : screenshots

I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread where people can post screenshots of their entries. I suppose it could be of anything, concept, in game screenshots, storyboards whatever.

Here goes mine. Its a shot straight out of Lightwave, but I'm aiming to get my game as close to this as possible. (2d game btw)
    Very Nice DUDE!!

This compo rocks!!

Good luck on rendering it
    I'm out of my mind but please leave a message
    <br />www.sulaco.co.za
    <br />Rage 3D game engine

Nice screenshots you all show here! I'm finally finished with my message handler. The most extreme piece of pointer jugling i've coded to date :shock:
    Vector, matrix, quaternion, cpufeatures, kernel, messagehandler, configurator and preliminary opengl rendering functionality finished. Planning to get screenshots up two days from now.

So..
    Any modellers out there who want to join the winning team?!
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Here is the first view of the Level Editor.

William Cairns

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast