Thread: Hex map designer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    ...I must say though that my interest is not to create a hex based game but as a way to create nice looking maps with out alot of work...
    I'm not sure if i understood this part earlier. The screenshot you showed in last message is very strictly tying game objects to hexagon grid. The stone walls are also showing clearly the drawback of hexagon technique - edgy straights. Map is always somehow tied to game logics. You can't just render the map in 1 big PNG and use it for whole game world, if that is the idea?

I think what hexagons fit best is kind of grid-based games such as Civilization 5
    http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/...eenshot_02.jpg
    But what is seen in that image for world terrain, is extremely complex to do (it's kind of what i tried to achieve in thread i posted in previous message, i couldn't find a shader algorithm that would make 1 of 6 corners straighten like that shoreline at bottom left). The tile-blending graphics are some advanced shadering and modelling. But if one has to choose between square grid and hexagon grid in that kind of game, and if it's about game mechanics, hexagon feels more natural.
    Last edited by User137; 13-10-2013 at 07:34 AM.