Thread: FPC 4 GBA Update!

Blog Entries

FPC 4 GBA Update!

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    Quote Originally Posted by savage
    There's even an SDL port for it - http://sdl-gp32.sourceforge.net/
    There is for nds and gba too
    It only specifies NDS, though. :?

WRT Porting FPC to different platoforms: [size=9px](Though belonging to it's own topic altogether,)[/size] the first things to have to look at before anything else when considering a port to a new platform is 1) Is the CPU and instruction set [size=9px](model, chipset, etc)[/size] supported, then 2) you have to look at the OS [size=9px](if it has one)[/size] inner-workings which probably will mean writting a new RTL [size=9px](--a process that Legolas painstakingly went through to get FPC4GBA off the ground and 'completed')[/size] and after all that 3) if there is stuff like hardware support and/or base units to support basic stuff, much like support for a Win API, X-Windows, etc, etc... it starts to get specific from here.

This is from my experience and what I've seen throughout this whole process. Legolas, could probably walk you through it all himself a bit better as I only dug into the code at the beginning, made a successful first compile of a port then he really took over from there. I just kept pushing Florian and his FPC buddies to include us into the compiler's development. In short, I bcame the gopher and cheerleader. :lol:

NO, I'm not posing with a 'Mario hat' for any PGD-themed demos! So stop asking even before you do.

SDL would be cool on the GBA and the NDS [size=9px](I could write my Subject 33 and Cyber Crisis games for 2 more platforms! yay! )[/size] and it would allow a TON of game source to be VERY easily portable to-and-from consoles to PC. A very juicey proposition for Ninendo who is currently trying to push innovation and new cutting edge gaming ideas from both developers and game purchasers alike.

In fact it's this sort of thing that could open a new kind of staple market for Nintendo all the while bring Object Pascal to the comercial gaming markets finally.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

FPC 4 GBA Update!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    Quote Originally Posted by savage
    There's even an SDL port for it - http://sdl-gp32.sourceforge.net/
    There is for nds and gba too
    It only specifies NDS, though. :?
    Not really. Look at the very end of the page and you should find a couple of packages:
    gbaSDL.rar and libSDLgba.rar, that is precompiled lib and headers for gba and source code.
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Blog Entries

FPC 4 GBA Update!

Yeah sorry, noticed it after replying. forgot to EDIT.

Very awesome! Have you tried making use of it yet? I imagine that it's a trimmed-down staticly linkable version of SDL?

I mean it would have to be otherwise the ROM sizes would be huge and take up too much space on the cartrage.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12