Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Game Engine 4.0.0 released

Castle Game Engine 4.0.0 released

I'm proud to announce a release of Castle Game Engine 4.0.0, an open-source 3D game engine for FPC/Lazarus.

This release adds a lot of features to make the engine really comfortable for game developers:
    1. We introduce a nice API to make 3D games, with out-of-the-box intelligent creatures, items, levels, nice game data layout and more. Finally it's really easy to make a complete 3D game using our engine.
    2. Everything is also very flexible under the hood, everything can be extended by overriding appropriate methods in classes, new types of creatures/items/other 3D objects can be defined, with specialized behavior.
    3. We have a couple of new examples, in particular examples/fps_game/ (in engine sources) shows how to easily make a fully-working FPS game using our game. It has a lot of comments in the code describing how things work.

We also add a lot of new documentation in this release:
    1. We have a nice tutorial that introduces basic engine concepts.
    2. Classes overview.
    3. And a guide to creating data (3D models, XML configuration files etc.).
    4. And, as always, a complete API reference.

I put a lot of work into this documentation, hopefully it will be useful to new developers that want to try our engine

You can read the full news announcement here.

Engine overview, with all the links to downloads and documentation, are here.

Engine features at a glance:
    • Reads many 3D model formats, focusing on VRML/X3D standards (so you can make 3D models in pretty much every 3D modeling software), but also supporting Collada and other popular formats.
    • We use OpenGL for graphics, and we have many eye-candy features (shadows, mirrors, bump mapping, screen effects, shaders etc.).
    • The engine is basically integrated into Lazarus (you can drop TCastleContol on Lazarus form, and a couple of non-visual controls, on the form), although it can also be used without LCL (we have our own TCastleWindow).
    • The engine is open-source, license is modified LGPL (same license as FPC RTL and Lazarus LCL), so you can make both open- and closed-source games with it.
    • More features listed on engine page.

Have fun! We welcome people that want to use our engine, and/or contribute of course. If you want to make a game using our engine, give it a try!

P.S. I created also a news announcement about this release on the main page of PGD, it's waiting for site admins to pubilsh it

Now these are really great news. I hope to find the time soon to do a little game with this awesome engine. Thanks a lot, Michalis.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Μπράβο Μιχάλη...
    Καταπληκτική, τεράστια δουλειά...
    Την μηχανή σου την κοιτώ εδώ και κάτι μήνες και έχω μείνει καταενθουσιαμένος...

Συνέχισε την καταπληκτική δουλειά...

Mprvo michali
    Congragulations , monster job...
    I look your machine about couple months and i must say it is extremly good...

Keep programming...

Blog Entries
    Yeah this does look great. So is this a "serious" game project in the works or just a demo for the Castle engine?

I don't think I've seen much in the way of a game with your engine since "The Castle" way back in 2005.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Yeah this does look great. So is this a "serious" game project in the works or just a demo for the Castle engine?
    You mean the game visible in the video, with knights? That's just a demo of the engine (examples/fps_game/ in sources), not a start of a real game.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I don't think I've seen much in the way of a game with your engine since "The Castle" way back in 2005.
    Indeed. It's a shame, but I didn't manage to do any real (larger, somewhat finished) game since the old "The Castle". Although "The Castle" got quite a few updates since 2005, like "DOOM E1M1" level and some technological demos (like the "Fountain" level).

I was working a lot on the engine and there was never enough time to make a real finished game. There are some game attemps in engine examples, besides examples/fps_game/ there is also examples/fixed_camera_game/ (video from it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daIrz3ehN_I ) and even simple 2D isometric game (examples/isometric_game/ ). But nothing that can be considered a real game for actual players.

I do hope to fix it this year Now that I have an engine I can be proud of, a real game using it should be done
    Last edited by WILL; 31-01-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Post video right into your post with the 'Insert Video' button in the editor. :)

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I'm really happy to see a pascal game engine tackling more middle-ware features, a lot of the 'game engines' here are actually graphics engines, sometimes with audio, window management etc often enough extras to be considered engine frameworks.

High level things like scene management, path finding, AI and customizable entity/creature classes are not often represented so you get a big thumbs up from me! any commercial game engine comes with such things and indeed, commercial rendering engines are defined by the lack of such components, being designed so companies can drop in a wide range of middle-ware or to integrate into their own engines.

There are more than a few game ports that have switched rendering engines in such a way, an example that sticks in my mind is the game 'Bully' (Canis Canem Edit) which switched it's entire rendering engine for the enhanced PC version in order to take advantage of more modern graphics features.

This example and others like it highlight the fundemental difference between graphics engines and game engines and I believe looking at your feature set you are accurate to call Castle Engine 4.0.0 a game engine.

Keep up the good work!
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Blog Entries
    Well next competition or "jam" we have you mst participate with a gme or game prototype

PGD got you into making a game engine (it seems) and we're gonna get you back to making games. (where the real fun is at!) lol

...ok game engines and libraries can be fun too, but games themselves are more fun!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

For people working on their own engines, on GameDev.Net it is common to point to this article: Write Games, Not Engines.

There are *so* *many* *engines* being developed each day, all in 3D and with some cool features, but very few seem to become an actual game and most fade away once the author gets bored.

This project seems rather promising, but when are we going to see actual game coming out of it? This same question would apply to "nxPascal" thread that is currently active.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I think it will be more productive for the community to have some great 3D games that show off the potential of Pascal, and for you to have a good portfolio of actually finished games, which may even generate some revenue. Developing an engine is a learning experience, but it's counter-productive learning experience, since developing a game implies much more than working on its engine (which, according to Pareto principle would take only 20% of time and effort than the rest of the game).

The problem is that once the "yet another cool game engine" is finished and you decide to make a game out of it, you may find it unsuitable for that purpose, because characteristics of uber-cool 3D game engine do not correspond to the functional and/or non-functional requirements of the game spec. This is why, it is highly recommended, to work on actual game rather than engine.

--- This is why, it is highly recommended, to work on actual game rather than engine.
    +1 for this! There is so few successfully pascal games out there! Today we have some very good engines out already which do the job very well covering almost all your needs (ZenGL, Asphyre, PhoenixLib, and others).

I think we have to spend our time creating successfully games using any of these engines, helping improve them even more (there is always some small fixes and improvements to be done) and nothing better than users creating games using these engines reporting bugs and requiring new features (or even creating these features by itself) to improve them even more.

I do have almost 10 successfully games released, and there is a lot more to come. And this was only possible when I stopped trying to create my own engine and started to really creating, and most important, finishing and releasing these games.

I have an suggestion here to PGD, it would be nice to have a page where we could list all the pascal games we can find. Something simple with Game Name, Description, Release Date, Platforms, Screenshots, Game Engine Used and Links for Download.

Sorry my english.

I don't think there are good enough engines out there yet, to say that we have something finished for most needs. We don't hear about those supposed engines being used or maintained even monthly.

And i do think alot about making games. Problem is i can't get the ideas worked out. Maybe cause i'm alone with my ideas? For instance:
    Game 1) Huge 2D tilemap with world wrapping sideways, like Terraria clone. Map engine works fine, but i can't figure out the theme that i'd make game of. What characters, what tile graphics? I'm not an artist...

Game 2) Galaxy generated with 10000 stars, planets and random colonies. Sure, i can zoom in where i want in it and it all renders smoothly. Now what? It was supposed to be RTS, but figuring out how that plays out in action is much harder. Can you really manually control over 10 star systems, or even comprehend it visually... rotate camera a bit and you're lost in space. AI would be able to expand no problem, but you could not keep it in same sort of control.

Would you make it an RPG instead then? Random large empires occupying certain territories, player building his small and widening empire, or just explore and upgrade his ship. Would be massive work to make all the content, UI plans and game design. These things annoy me, you might understand

All in all, these 2 are certainly not the only ideas i've experimented with. I'm not satisfied with small games normally so not even trying them. I play many games in my spare time, if i want to make a game, it must top them in some ways. Lets say Half-Life 2 for example. It has good visuals, gameplay and story. But once campaign is complete, it's time to uninstall. That kind of games are easy to top off - make content that will never be the same each playthrough. Maybe it will never actually finish, like MineCraft. Building games in general have much potential, but that genre has only just began.

On some defence for nxPascal, it is enough of an engine already for me to stick to it, and make games with if i'd wish to do so. Edit3D that i'm working on is rather important too. There are no free modelling programs available at the moment, that would fit for real game making. 3DS - yeah right, not starting pirate discussion, rather not make games at all. Blender - whoever designed the controls was propably a lawyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast