Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Subject 33 [Restarted]

Blog Entries
    Works great on wine errr... what are we on now? 1.3.15 (). Just wondering, will you be releasing source code for this or not? Because it is quite annoying running everything in wine and etc... Plus, I sure as heck wouldn't mind taking a look at how it all fits together that nicely. I must say I'm surprised though: sdl libs! OMG! it just made me think about how much I've come to rely on my own code since I havent actually done anything with OpenGl of Sdl directly since I originally worked on my 'interface' so to speak
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Hey guys, thanks for trying the new build out!

I'm guessing some of you didn't read the ReadMe.txt file or forgot how command line parameters work? At any rate, I made up these batch files or you to have a look at and see how it works. You can edit them and combine any of the parameters shown in the ReadMe file.

As I mentioned in the changelog (it's more of a features implimented and features not yet implemented) a menu is planned, probably once I get the level editor working I'll get to it. For now this is more or less a tech demo if you will.

X2 will double, while X3will triple, etc... FULLSCREEN works best as the others draw more pixels instead and since it's not hardware accelerated yet, you can guess the rest.

Copy these right into the same folder to use them. Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'm guessing some of you didn't read the ReadMe.txt file or forgot how command line parameters work? At any rate, I made up these batch files or you to have a look at and see how it works. You can edit them and combine any of the parameters shown in the ReadMe file.
    I did actually try to add the parameters by using a shortcut, but it didn't work. Relying on commandline parameters is not very user-friendly (at least not on the windows platform). Providing some BAT files will be a nice easy fix, but an INI file would be better in my opinion. Ofcourse, if you have more time you could make an ingame menu which would totally kick butt.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Well the batch files and the command line parameters are mostly for debugging and testing of course, but I plan on overhauling the whole graphics system next. In fact, I've already started. 640x480 will be the default resolution once, I've cleaned everything up. Fullscreen will be a default, I must have forgotten to change it back when I packaged it. I can't debug my code while I'm in Windowed mode so that's why I change it.

I'm planning on getting menus and a proper level editor working soon. I'm especially wanting to get it working for Mac and Linux too. Then I can run it natively on my own primary system. Now that I'm hope, as long as my motivation keeps up, I'll be able to do some of the more graphics based stuff too.

Let me know how the batch files helped guys!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Did those batch files work for any of your guys at all? Please let me know.

Also any comments about the gameplay? Did you like this or that or did you hate this or that? Anything you would like to see?

I have plans in place for the game, which are documented, but maybe I can add stuff that you suggest if it's a cool idea and I like it enough.

Also if I were to eventually release this for the iPad what kind of control interface would you suggest for it? You need to have 2 sets of 'directional' controls to move and shoot. The change of weapons is another one.

I'm hoping to add more cool weapons for later on in the game, any suggestions? I was thinking about grenades, a shield wall gun and maybe some claymore mines as well. What are your ideas?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hey Jason, the batch files worked for me just fine

I had already made one for myself to do fullscreen anyhow LOL

Neat game...I found it a bit hard for some reason...I kept dying...

It didn't help that a couple of times the weapon I picked up was the bazooka and killed myself due to short range firing

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Neat game...I found it a bit hard for some reason...I kept dying...

It didn't help that a couple of times the weapon I picked up was the bazooka and killed myself due to short range firing
    Yeah I have that problem too some times. I might add a little bit of code in so that at least there is a sequence to the weapon or at the very least a gun appears at the start instead of a random weapon. So far an actual weapon will appear every 500 'game frames' until you collect one of those weapons then it'll instead bring up an ammo item of that weapon instead. However once you pickup the actual weapon it'll switch to that weapon, ala Doom style pickups, so you have to watch what you have selected before you start shooting too.

I've tried making 'open space' maps where you have 2x2 or bigger wall-less spots in the map and it seems to do funny things with the player controls and the Robot AI (more so the player in my last test). I was thinking of having such maps, but I'm starting to second guess it's need. Have you perhaps played with the map data at all to see what you can do? Might be easier to do when I make my map editor, but that might take a little bit of time. Whats your thoughts on that?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

No, I haven't had a play with the levels yet, I might do that and see what I can come up with

cheers,
    Paul

Unfortunately I cannot get it to work on Win7 x64 (fullscreen hangs, double size is normal, fog one seemed to sorta work like a snail), normal game works but I am looking at a 46inch LED at full 1080p res, so it's like really... really... tiny like ants .

Played the normal sized game, man those aliens owned me!.
    Last edited by Chesso; 13-03-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries
    well there is x3 and x4 options too...?

Yeah if you do come up with some neat maps then send them my way. Maybe there are different ways of looking at the gameplay that I haven't thought of yet.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast