Funny how the first suggestion is all about war. There is already a game that would be perfect: Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

I wonder what else would make an interesting idea, something with a little less war in it. and not a stock market simulator (I've played one of those before - ugh).

Having recently watched the Da Vinci Code, I'm thinking of some kind of mystery where you go around following clues and uncovering a conspiracy of some kind regarding a secret society or maybe a more contemporary spin would be like a terrorist cell.

Oh, how about something like Munich (the movie) - you play an assassin hunting down members of a society/terror group/government, whatever, and you have to track them down and kill them.

This group that you are tracking down could have strong ties to a local economy (like mobsters or politicians), and also you can be paid in cash that you have to spend on weapons and gear.

Emotion could play a large role in the story and gameplay, especially greed and anger, but other elements can be thrown in to force emotional decisions (or perhaps ethical) decisions on the players behalf (I can bomb them, that's easy, but what about bystanders).

Emblems could be featured promimently as symbols of this group you are tracking - it could tattoos of members, spray painted on walls, badges on uniforms, et cetera.

Europe - well, pick a town in europe, or lots of towns, preferrably small, perhaps even made up. One single location would be interesting because first it's easier, second you can make it more richly detailed, and thirdly the impact of your actions has a longer effect. If you set of a bomb and leave the city, who cares? If you have spent the last week there and got to know the pub owner, chatted with his kids, and had some pints with the wino at the table over there, you are less likely to decide to leave a bomb under the table (emotion).

This game could be in full 3-d, 3rd person perspective (ideally, like GTA3, but perhaps less overtly evil), but it would work as 3-d from a fixed top-down/iso perspective (like our very own tanx), or even as 2-d with sprites.

Okay, now that I've given away an idea I am actually quite pleased with, please don't use it without me! (or at least my consent!).