I am just starting to put on my thinking cap for a pet project of mine.

I want to do a remake of Rebelstar (fore runner of Xcom) but in 3d. Rebelstar is a Turn Based strategy game. Where you move members of your squad around and destroy the enemy.

I will be using DJX and I have some basic prototype code already.

However, there are a number of things I want to have in my game so I figure it is best to work out before hand what they are and how I may achieve them.

So here is my wish list for the game. I would value any ideas that people may have that go towards achieving these aims.

I will be adding stuff to this thread as I work out how I am going to do it.

===========================
The Game Wish List.

1. Possible to play in both
"You-Go/ I-Go" format and as "we go" format.

2. Sides can be computer or player controlled.

3. Single, two player and multiplayer possibilities.

4. Can be played over a network/internet.

5. Individual movement and squad leader movement. To speed things along I want to be able to tell the squad leader what I want to do and the 4 other squadies tag along with their leader.

===========================

So far I haven't put a huge amount of thought into the internal mechanics, I have been dealing with the 3d graphics and learning 3d Studio Max instead.

However, this is as far as I have got.

First off there has to be a "Action Decision Component"
This can be a human physically dragging units or a computer AI (lite) system.

All the actions must be stored in some list.

There must be room to "re-evaluate" the action. e.g., in a You and I go format you maybe tell a squadie to move into a room where he comes into visual contact with the enemy. It should be possible that the rest of the actions are paused allowing the decision to be re-evaluate. i.e. to shoot at the enemy.

In a we-go situation similar things are more likely to occur as the enemy is moving at the same time. But in this case only "automated" reactions to the situations should be possible. i.e. an otherwise human-controlled squadie may choose to blast the opposition, or turn around and retreat.

Ok, that seems like enough for now.

If you have any suggestions or comments or links to websites that have some useful stuff then please reply.