Thread: New SDL Release

Blog Entries

New SDL Release

SDL 1.2.11 was released last week with some minor bug fixes to all 3 major supported platforms, Mac OS X, Linux [size=9px](and friends)[/size] and of course Windows.

[size=9px]Most notable things are:

:arrow: a few minor memory leaks in the windib video driver (Windows)
    :arrow: audio quality fixes for both DirectSound (Windows) and 5.1 audio (Windows & Mac)
    :arrow: building SDL with Xinerama disabled (Linux)
    :arrow: DRI OpenGL library loading, using RTLD_GLOBAL in dlopen() (Linux)
    :arrow: the Quartz video driver supports 32x32 cursors on Mac OS X 10.3 and above[/size]

More information can be found about the SDL, or Simple DirectMedia Layer library at www.libSDL.org

[size=9px]If you are interested in using SDL with Pascal you will want to either try one of these two packages:

SDL4FreePascal --- Translated SDL Header files for the Free Pascal compiler
    JEDI-SDL --- The much more developed, bit more robust multi-compiler supportable light-weight library for SDL[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

New SDL Release

The much more developed, bit more robust multi-compiler supportable light-weight library for SDL
    I guess it's clear that submitter is a *little* biased But I agree, jedi-sdl is simply much larger and actively maintained. I care only about FPC (and mostly under Linux and FreeBSD) and still I encourage everyone to use jedi-sdl, not sdl4freepascal.

Blog Entries

New SDL Release

Well it's not so much that JEDI-SDL is better, than the fact that SDL4FreePascal was last updated in 2003 and SDL had gone through a ton of new versions since then, of which JEDI-SDL has been updated to support.

SDL4FreePascal does have it's value of course, since it is much more light weight, but it's age and lack of updates does leave a lot to be done to it.

It should probably also be noted that SDL4FreePascal was made BEFORE JEDI-SDL of which the latter was based on, no? At least this is what I remember from reading the old DelphiGamer Site's news archives.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder