Thread: Starting Pascal Game Dev OSX

Starting Pascal Game Dev OSX

I'm interested in making sure my end result of a game runs on OSX (as I do most of my dev on OSX as it stands). I'm failing to find anything useful as far as a library to make game development easier that I can get to work (not for lack of trying).

Before I waste any more time looking, I figured I'd just ask: WHAT DO I USE?!

In order to get allegro5.pas to work, I had to make a C hack (hah!) to have a main function and a function to take in my code and call al_main_blahblahblah. Then I saw that I'd still have to do ALL the work for a GUI myself.

I've got SDL2 working under freepascal as well, but I still need to write a GUI library.

I'm trying to make a couple of 'windows' that can be dragged around in the game, with some buttons on them.

Anyways, thoughts?

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I can't think of anything that will offer you a GUI, but my own project (Jink) works on OSX and can create Carbon and Cocoa windows, supports GL3.2 on Cocoa and can also render using quartz. It's a full application framework including a GUI as well as 2D and 3D engines. It'll be released in the next handful of months.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

For SDL 1.2 there are the SDL Lazarus Controls available here: http://sdllazctrls.freepascal-meets-sdl.net/
    Maybe they can be ported to SDL2 (although it seems that would be a big effort).
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

I'll take a crack at this tonight ; I'm also poking at some other tools. I'll report back.