Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Invites the World to Create Console Games..

Microsoft Invites the World to Create Console Games..

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Its a little more then just WinFX...

...This is why people still have to write device drivers and servers in VC++.NET witch compiles down to native code that has permissions to access the .NET framework...

Another BIG change in 3.0 are some new features for the power down system presented in Vista and Longhorn...
    As I understand all .NET 3.0 and Delphi compatibility talks are completely bullshit! This is just because .NET 3.0 (previously known as WinFX) is just a new version of common LIBRARY based on the same old CLR 2.0! So [in theory at least] you just need to download .NET 3.0 import it in Delphi and you are ready.

Writing device drivers in .NET managed code? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Can you prove this?

Powerdown and 3.0..? How could just some little additional windows messages send to application be tied to .NET 3.0? By saying that you state what only .NET 3.0 application will work correctly with this "Shutdown now" feature. Do you really feel people in MS are so stupid?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Clootie
    Writing device drivers in .NET managed code? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Can you prove this?

Powerdown and 3.0..? How could just some little additional windows messages send to application be tied to .NET 3.0? By saying that you state what only .NET 3.0 application will work correctly with this "Shutdown now" feature. Do you really feel people in MS are so stupid?
    Clootie, you mis-read what I said
    VC++ for .NET (any version) can still compile to native code for device drivers and ect. but its code can hook into .NET managed code from within native. In fact, right now, its the only way to write device drivers, managed code device drivers were on the planning board, but got dropped.

The shutdown messages were a sample of the simplest things that are being added, old applications will still work with the new feature. They just won't be given the expected response if they don't implement the new messages (witch can be done within Delphi, see http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com.../ms700677.aspx for changes). I was simply stating that .NET 3.0 has more then just WinFX. Notice that the article is about Vista and not .NET 3.0, but the changes apply to the new .NET as well (considering that Vista is and .NET 3 are partners in a way). You can still import them in 1.1 and 2.0 (they are simply messages) as I have said a few times, it was an example and nothing more. I could have said (and did) WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and Windows Slideshow integration. Witch will not (from my experience and testing) be available in 1.1 applications, and are limited in 2.0 applications. I could have also said Ink, witch some will argue is part of WinFX, or others that I believe to be cool features for games and developers in general.

Considering that I work with people from MS every day, I don't think that they are stupid (well not all of them at least). They have put ALOT of thought behind the new versions of Windows and .NET. Many hours have been spent, so yes I have respect for their work.

My point was about compiling XNA applications with Delphi. It won't work (meaning currently doesn't work). Compiling XNA applications in Chrome does work, and compiling XNA applications within the .NET 2.0 environment currently works (XNA isn't 3.0 but is 3.0 compatiable, I can see where my paragraphs run a bit together, I'm not an ace of words). So when/if Delphi goes to a full CLR implementation of 2.0 it should be able to work. Just not right now.

I was also trying to point out that 3.0 was comming, and borland still hasn't got 2.0 working (RemObjects Chrome works with 2.0 and should work with 3.0 straight out). Saying that, from what I know, CLR 3.0 does have new Op-Codes and is backward compatiable (it wouldn't make sense for it not to be).

Re: Microsoft Invites the World to Create Console Games..

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    In the 30 years of video game development, the art of making console games has been reserved for those with big projects, big budgets and the backing of big game labels. Now Microsoft Corp. is bringing this art to the masses with a revolutionary new set of tools, called XNA Game Studio Express, based on the XNA‚Ñ¢ platform. XNA Game Studio Express will democratize game development by delivering the necessary tools to hobbyists, students, indie developers and studios alike to help them bring their creative game ideas to life while nurturing game development talent, collaboration and sharing that will benefit the entire industry.
    More @ http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eStudioPR.mspx

Does this mean Delphi.NET could be used to target XBox 360 via XNA?
    There are some caveats to this.
    - To make games using XNA Game Studio Express, you need to pay US$99/year to be a member of the "XNA Creators Club".
    - The people who want to play your games will also need to have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their PC and have a current subscription to the "XNA Creators Club" (US$99/year).
    - XNA Game Studio Express only runs on Windows XP.
    - Therefore you and the people who want to play your game must also have Windows XP installed on their home PC.
    - Both parties also need to have the XNA runtime installed on their Xbox 360.

Blog Entries

Wow. Really sounds like XNA is rather cumbersome right now. What are the odds that making XBox/XBox360 games will seem less like a cheap hack on the machine or an accessory addon? IOW be able to make games that are able to sell like all the other 'Normal' XBox games?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

In the future, Microsoft are going to allow games created with XNA Game Studio Professional (not Express) to be sold over Xbox Live Arcade.

I must admit that I play more Xbox Live Arcade games than actual commercial games on the Xbox 360. Did I mention that I got the Xbox 360 for free?

Delphi can compile *.obj files?
    Microsoft linker can create executable from *.obj files?
    What is problem? ;)

Different file formats. They may have the same file extension, but internally they are structured differently, i.e. they are incompatible. There is extremely little chance for Delphi to be used for Xbox 360 development, with the main hurdle being that the Xbox 360 runs a PowerPC-based CPU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12