Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Creation Team

Game Creation Team

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos
    I worked in a team for about 4 months, but unfortunately as we lived in wildly differing timezones, meetings were difficult and the team split up. I'm sure though that with enough group communication and meetings via IRC and the forums we'd be able to pull it off
    It's not like we have a time limit so it should be fine. So where do we start?

Game Creation Team

I'd be happy to give a hand if possible.

The Gauntlet idea really interests me for the following reasons:

- It deals will all the game programming aspects (gfx, sound, network, AI)
    - It's a quite simple game (good idea for a first team project no ?)
    - I loooove this game. Really. Get Medieval still stands on my PC

So what's the team decision about the kind of game ?

Game Creation Team

ARGH COLLEGE COURSEWORK!!

sorry about the disappearing act everyone

When we started the group off, we already decided that the game was going to be an RPG, we then set about all making our own brainstorm as to what features would be good inside the game, these ranged from how the skills system was going be done, to the scripting engine. Nothing much really about the storyline, as people tend to get caught up in them a bit too much, so we decided to leave that until the end, when the game was finished, so even without a story to it, we still had something to release and say "we did it"

After that each person used their personal ISP webspace to put work they were making for the game so all of the team had access to it, some of the contents included a kind of .plan file, containing what we were doing, what we'd already done, and what we were going to be doing next, along with points that need to be discussed at the next IRC session.

The .plan file system involved the whole team checking everyones plan file once a day, taking note of any new entries and working on any 'issues' people had with their section of the game development.

We had an IRC meeting once every week to discuss progress, this is probably where we failed, as once a week was not enough really, twice a week would be about a bare minimum, and as we lived in differing time zones by half a day with some people, discussions with the whole team were difficult, so we resorted to email and offline ICQ messages, which didn't pay off and things went from bad to worse as people ended up waiting on other people who weren't comitted, etcetc. Me, I was clock watching waiting for someone in death valley to send the minimal specifications for the scripting engine I was going to implement, that never came, so I was left completing that myself, and ensuring that the project admin had the design. Someone else got on with making a mock up rendering system which we saw screenshots of, but never saw the code.

Communication with the team is definitely the key, plan and todo files, regular IRC meetings, email and ICQ/MSN through the week, logs of all the meetings for people who can't attend.

All we need is the project genre

Game Creation Team

The poll is still open! I'm not sure who voted but when I last looked there were 19 votes, so it's only a fair poll if we have 19 team members :twisted:

I agree about communication, that's more important than anything in a team.

Game Creation Team

Since the poll looks to be quiet, can we consider that all the team members are defined ?

I'm really impatient to begin this project. Perhaps we could all meet together on an initialization IRC chat ? I suggest a channel like #dgdev on afternet or something like that. Perhaps a week-end date would be the best choice to allow everyone to join (depending on their timezone). BTW which timezone are you from ? I'm GMT+1.

Are you ok to begin ?

Game Creation Team

GMT+1

Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

Game Creation Team

GMT - 05:00

P.S. I've asked my buddy about costs involved in setting up a single shared Groove workspace in the preview edition of the software, I should hear back from him tomorrow. But from what I've heard so far that cost would be $0.00, and Groove has a lot of features to keep everyone up to date on what's going on.

P.P.S. How many people do we have so far 6?
    My DGDev forum pascal syntax highlight settings:
    <br />[background=#FFFFFF][comment=#8080FF][normal=#000080]
    <br />[number=#C00000][reserved=#000000][string=#00C000]

Game Creation Team

GMT -24 (promotes forward thinking)

I'd suggest that BlueCat, as he's the site admin, set up an IRC channel for the forums and another for the project

#dgdev (as mentioned)
    and
    #dgproject, or something

Game Creation Team

Go to #DGDev at Gamesnet

Game Creation Team

When shall we meet on this chat ?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast