Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dj_sharp View Post
    is it really necessary? lawl.
    Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    Yes, unfortunately when you've been burned by having to clear about half a million accounts from the system you do tend to get a lot stricter with the sign up process.
    How about when you have to delete from 80 to 200 spam posts every day. And that was lately when the new users could only post their posts in new members section.
    I couldn't even imagine what is was like when new members were able to post their posts in every section of the forum (time before I was promoted to forum moderator).

Hello, I've been reading this forum from time to time and thought could also participate. On that note, the fact that you need to post in this thread before you can participate in other discussions is a bit discouraging... forum owner doesn't know how to fight spam?

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vinkat View Post
    Hello, I've been reading this forum from time to time and thought could also participate. On that note, the fact that you need to post in this thread before you can participate in other discussions is a bit discouraging... forum owner doesn't know how to fight spam?
    The sign-up process can take as little as 10 minutes depending on the time of day and who's on-line... is that really discouraging?

If you can tell me (the current owner and manager of the community) how to fight spam completely automatically with the same success rate as we have with this slightly manual process, then I'll happily listen (I suspect in truth you can't). But the fact of the matter is that the boards are now fighting a lot more spam automatically than they ever have before. Since the site came back on-line over 40,000 spam accounts have been automatically blocked. But some are still getting through... if we put you straight into the normal user group think how many messages you could post automagically? Think how long one of the staff would have to spend cleaning up... I don't want to be doing that and I don't want the staff to have to waste their time doing it either.

This is a slightly manual process, but thus far it's proving quite reliable in terms of keeping spam out of the rest of the forums.

So I'm sorry that some people find it slightly annoying but I would rather have this than having the forums littered with junk!
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    The sign-up process can take as little as 10 minutes depending on the time of day and who's on-line... is that really discouraging?

If you can tell me (the current owner and manager of the community) how to fight spam completely automatically with the same success rate as we have with this slightly manual process, then I'll happily listen (I suspect in truth you can't). But the fact of the matter is that the boards are now fighting a lot more spam automatically than they ever have before. Since the site came back on-line over 40,000 spam accounts have been automatically blocked. But some are still getting through... if we put you straight into the normal user group think how many messages you could post automagically? Think how long one of the staff would have to spend cleaning up... I don't want to be doing that and I don't want the staff to have to waste their time doing it either.

This is a slightly manual process, but thus far it's proving quite reliable in terms of keeping spam out of the rest of the forums.

So I'm sorry that some people find it slightly annoying but I would rather have this than having the forums littered with junk!
    Thanks for a quick answer and forgive me. I had no intention to offend you and didn't expect such emotional response. On that topic, no wonder why you have talks like this... as in marketing, you have 5 minutes to convince someone to join your community. Now consider your long registration, where you have to make an apparently meaningless post (some of us want to keep anonymous you know, or such thing no longer exists on Internet? sorry, I just don't feel comfortable introducing myself, at least not yet - I don't know your community enough), then a somewhat, how to say it, controversial response to registration feedback... err, I guess this was a mistake.

On that topic, no wonder why you have talks like this... as in marketing, you have 5 minutes to convince someone to join your community.
    The main reason that mentioned thread exists is the fact that AthenaOfDelphi took ower the site ownership just a few weaks ago. So she is trying to get as much input and suggestions from the comunity on how to improve site and forums as much as posible.

Now consider your long registration, where you have to make an apparently meaningless post (some of us want to keep anonymous you know, or such thing no longer exists on Internet? sorry, I just don't feel comfortable introducing myself, at least not yet - I don't know your community enough),
    You can browse through all the forums without registering and thus remain anonymus if you want.

then a somewhat, how to say it, controversial response to registration feedback... err, I guess this was a mistake.
    What was "controversial" about AthenaOfDelphi's response? Can you please clarify this?

Thanks for a quick answer and forgive me. I had no intention to offend you and didn't expect such emotional response. On that topic, no wonder why you have talks like this... as in marketing, you have 5 minutes to convince someone to join your community. Now consider your long registration, where you have to make an apparently meaningless post (some of us want to keep anonymous you know, or such thing no longer exists on Internet? sorry, I just don't feel comfortable introducing myself, at least not yet - I don't know your community enough), then a somewhat, how to say it, controversial response to registration feedback... err, I guess this was a mistake.
    You may read more emotions than there are in Athenas post. In any case, the process is necessary for spam free forums, and I think anyone would prefer them that way. It's also similar to some other high profile forums I've been a part of (with a lot more members than pgd). As for the introduction, you need not put anything personal into it or anything that would compromise your anonimity. Her response is not controversial, and I do believe she did not mean to offend This a community for pascal game development, so if you're into that I doubt joining was a mistake. Also, welcome to PGD, even if it is a bit of a rough entry
    Existence is pain

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the support guys, but I have already explained myself to vinkat in a PM. Upon reflection I have probably been a bit shorter and sharper in my reply than I should have been and I am sorry about that, but as I explained to Vinkat I've actually spent most of the last week working on various aspects of the site so a little bit of criticism, which is justified in many respects because it is a nasty sign-up process which is itself justified, made me react in a way I probably should not have... hmmm... maybe this is a good time to test the infraction system.... on myself

So, lets all stop now before it descends into a flame war... something we really don't want in a thread where new users are supposed to be making their first post.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

46 89956384

hello im joao and im tring lear delphi

Hello PGD

Hello to everyone! I'm a Delphi Developer and i'm interesting about game development. I have already develop mobile game with other tool like Gideros and AndEngine and now I want to join this community!

Willing to help with PGDCE

Hello, I am a long term delphi developer and willing to help with the PGDCE.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast