Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: String handling issue with Free Pascal

If you would want to optimize it a bit, i would first get rid of NextChar() function. You could put all valid characters in a string constant, something like
    Code:
    const validstr = 'abcd....ABCD....XYZ0123456789';
    Then matter of changing character is simply increasing character index by 1.

Code:
    index:=1;
    validstr[index] is 'a'
    inc(index);
    validstr[index] is now 'b'

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogcelak View Post
    I actually needed to look up how multithreading exactly works in Pascal. And I still don't get half of it, so that will take some time. Keep in mind I've hardly ever used objects in my programs, only simple ones. This TThread class is a mess compaired to them.

I've deleted the part of the program where it writes out every try, now it just outputs the result, and it is a lot faster now. At 5 character length it still seems unexplainably slow(I haven't tried with more). This multithreading seems like something that could work but I need to study it further before I can implement it in my program.
    I have a tutorial that covers the basics of multi-threading.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

@User137
    That will be implemented in the program, but first I need to optimize other things. If I want to add capitalized characters into the pool of characters my program uses, then it adds another 23 characters and it will make things a hell lot slower even without the NextChar function.

@Athena
    That's a really cool guide you have written but erm... The basics, you say?? Unfortunately for me I could understand it until the second page, and there were things I didn't understand on the first page too(VCL thread??, TDXTimer??). It's just too advanced stuff for me. I don't know most of these functions. I don't know how classes handle these public and protected stuffs, or what's that constructor thing, how does inheriting work, what the hell does "try", "except", and "finally" do etc...etc... Hell, I don't even know how the OS exactly handles multithreading. How am I supposed to tell it how to do it, if I don't even know how it should be working? And finally, I also have no idea about how exactly can I use multithreading to fasten up this program. My program does one thing, and it is trying all different combinations of characters, so I don't see what tasks I could give to another thread. See I'm having difficulties with understanding the most basic things about multithreading, that's why I said I needed to study it a bit before I can implement it in my program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogcelak View Post
    @User137
    That will be implemented in the program, but first I need to optimize other things. If I want to add capitalized characters into the pool of characters my program uses, then it adds another 23 characters and it will make things a hell lot slower even without the NextChar function.

@Athena
    That's a really cool guide you have written but erm... The basics, you say?? Unfortunately for me I could understand it until the second page, and there were things I didn't understand on the first page too(VCL thread??, TDXTimer??). It's just too advanced stuff for me. I don't know most of these functions. I don't know how classes handle these public and protected stuffs, or what's that constructor thing, how does inheriting work, what the hell does "try", "except", and "finally" do etc...etc... Hell, I don't even know how the OS exactly handles multithreading. How am I supposed to tell it how to do it, if I don't even know how it should be working? And finally, I also have no idea about how exactly can I use multithreading to fasten up this program. My program does one thing, and it is trying all different combinations of characters, so I don't see what tasks I could give to another thread. See I'm having difficulties with understanding the most basic things about multithreading, that's why I said I needed to study it a bit before I can implement it in my program.
    I think you need to have a look here. It's a Delphi "starters" site, were most of the language is explained. It is not very updated to last Delphi version, but the basics are there.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    I think you need to have a look here. It's a Delphi "starters" site, were most of the language is explained. It is not very updated to last Delphi version, but the basics are there.
    I would also add http://www.pp4s.co.uk/main/tutorials.html. A good friend of mine has been using the PP4S tutorials to teach herself Delphi and she's found them pretty good although they do have a preference for Free Pascal.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Thanks for the links guys. I will look at them. Especially the Free Pascal one, since that's what I'm using.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12