Quote Originally Posted by Super Vegeta View Post
I also think it could be interesting to have a non-gamedev contest - say, implement an algorithm, or maybe create some kind of game AI in .dll/.so which will then compete against each other. code_glitches ideas also seem interesting.
I was thinking about something similar but maybe not even in form of a competition.
My idea is something like this:
A comunity member creates a game related programming problem. For instance implementing some algorithm like you sad.
Also this same comunity member provides a posible solution to that problem.
The goal of the rest of the comunity is to go and try to provide as many different ways to solve the given problem.
In the end we can compare the solution, discuss and find benefits/weakneses of each of the provided solutions and maybe even ways of how to improve them in the end.

So what we would get from this is lots of different solutions (code snipects) which other pepole could use in their projects when needed. And since certain solution may not necessary the best solution for someone, pepole could go and chose that one solution which would be most suitable for them since they would have many ones to chose.
At the same time this would provide some kind of a joint knowledge of the whole comunity in one place.
Maybe some members might go even to the point of using that gathered knowledge and making a full blown tutorials out of it which would provide other members to gain that knowledge even more easily.