Thread: SDL2_gfx object pascal bindings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Cybermonkey: I stand corrected. Sorry about that Matthias!

Edit: for some reason I spaced and though that was a reply without the reply bit... Good job brain...

On the sdl_gfx note I recall that because they were a bit slow, OpenGL was used in their place a lot of the time (I know I did a whole bunch - which is how I first got started in OpenGL) though from what I've seen Tim's are the only headers for pascal so if he hasn't got them - I don't think anyone has. Sorry :/
    Last edited by code_glitch; 09-06-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

The question is: For what do you need the SDL2_gfx library? Maybe it can be done without it. For example for my old framework based on SDL 1.2 I needed SDL_gfx but for my newer one based on SDL 2 I don't need it anymore ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    The question is: For what do you need the SDL2_gfx library? Maybe it can be done without it. For example for my old framework based on SDL 1.2 I needed SDL_gfx but for my newer one based on SDL 2 I don't need it anymore ...
    Yeah I know you can draw very basic stuff with SDL2 now, squares, lines and such, but no circles, ellipses, bezier curves etc, or just filled/outlined shapes. I suppose you could draw pretty much anything manipulating pixels, but why reinvent the wheel if someone already has created easy to use methods. The usefulness of SDL2_gfx still has to be determined, especially with the addition of textures etc. I am really asking not because I'm migrating to SDL2 and have something relying heavily on gfx, but should I even count on it in the future or try to meet my needs without it.

Hi Raith and everybody.

It seems Tim Blume's SDL2 units got extended by the SDL2_gfx bindings about two months ago. Have a look here: https://github.com/ev1313/Pascal-SDL-2-Headers.

I had no time to try them out or even extend my tutorial. Anyway, I will check it out for sure in the future.

EDIT: Last but not least I appreciated the kind words you found about my tutorials . Just in case it may be interesting for some reader, I'm preparing a major update of the site, so expect some cool new features there :-).
    Last edited by Matthias; 17-03-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Your tutorials are essential! Without them I'd never chose SDL for my little game engine. Keep up that great work! I am looking forward to seeing the update of your site.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey