Thread: Text rendering in OpenGL

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you for the replies!

I might consider using bitmp fonts for beginning. I don't have yet experience with that, but as far as I image, I should render a character map (atlas) at runtime, using the OS's built in text rendering functions. The character map would be a single channel texture (alpha map). Then each quad's tex-coordinates should map an exact character from the texture. Then I can combine the character alpha map with a custom texture or color to fill the character in the fragment shader. Would that work? How do you do it in your implementations?

But wouldn't be a problem for the mipmapping if I use a single texture for font atlas? Is it a better solution to store each character in different texture?

About the 3d text geometry, since I target for multiplatform code, I am unable to use the windows api for text geometry. My only idea for now is to find and download a 3d font model set (I guess there should be any) or try to create in Blender, so I can load it from it's file and have each character as a tri model group and then use them to render the text.
    Last edited by Anton; 07-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.