Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Get Lazarus Initiative

Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
    I'm currently working on transform feedback accelerated vector field optimizations to various path finding algorithms, specifically to handle real-time path finding on procedurally generated terrains and planets. Before that I implemented volumetric shadows with multiple light sources for my particle system. I have very few people to discuss such things with, none in the Pascal community. It's great to see all the new engines and things come out for Pascal but it'd be nice if there were more people into the bleeding edge stuff, I have nobody to talk to :\
    I could go and discus pathfinding algorithms with you. Probably my knowledge isn't as good as your but still. So yeah you have somebody to talk to if so desired.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I could go and discus pathfinding algorithms with you. Probably my knowledge isn't as good as your but still. So yeah you have somebody to talk to if so desired.
    Hey I love to talk about programming If you ever want to chat about designs and ideas then I'd love to
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

My name is Anthony Walter. I'm the owner of getlazarus.org, as well as the creator of baregame.org. I say this because I am not trying to hide. Just do a WHOIS on my domains. I've been running ad free software sites for more than fifteen years. All I've done is offer my projects to others for free. More than ten years ago I offered a great package of components on my blog:

http://www.codebot.org/delphi/

There zero ads on or asking for money on anything I've created on that site, and I never felt like I've taken undo credit or tried to steal from anyone, only give to people. Next on to Bare Game, it has been out for two years now and in that time I've never asked for a thing. The site has remained ad free, and all my sources have been hosted free and open. I'm not received much appreciation for it, but it doesn't bother me, as long as people are able to make use of what I've created. And now there is getlazarus.org, where care was taken to be free and open as well. Everything I've done is and has been on github, including my modifications in changes.diff. When you install my bundles, you get everything I have made. Heck even the windows installed script is online. I link to the github project page on my site.

https://github.com/sysrpl/Codebot.Setup

Even my website engine, which I wrote myself, is open and free on github .It's been free there for about a month now:

https://github.com/sysrpl/Codebot.Sh...er/Codebot.Web

Regarding the anchor docking comment on reddit you references, I said I "add in THE anchor docking layout", not MY. As in, my scripts/bundles make anchor docking THE default mode, as opposed to how Lazarus usually ships, which is multiple window mode. I didn't think people would take "THE anchor docking layout" to mean I am claiming to have created it.

Regarding the other domain, getlazarus.com, I'm not affiliated with it. I saw it existed before I purchased getlazarus.org last Saturday and didn't think it would be a big deal if someone other than me owned the .com TLD

Regarding the forums and spam, I've changed the default captcha to Q&A, removed up the spammers accounts, and deleted their posts. Mistakes happen, please foregive me.

Regarding the usage of "US" or "WE" when describing getlazarus.org, it's meant to infer a community initiative, rather than one person saying it's about ME, when it's not.

I said to an interview with a online Pascal magazine earlier today:

"I bought my first Mac in late 2013 just to complete the cross platform bridge. In the end, it's really all to much for one person (me) to handle, between my normal real life responsibilities, work, and my side projects (I'm no spring chicken). My hope in creating the get Lazarus initiative was to re-invigorate the Lazarus community, find some people in the community to mentor, and hand off these projects for them to maintain, rather than let everything I've privately worked on in the past fade away benefiting no one."

I hope this clear things up.

Edit: And about the legalese on my site, all we are saying is there are NO warranties, and don't try to hold us accountable if anything goes wrong. It's standard stuff.
    Last edited by sysrpl; 05-02-2015 at 02:20 AM.

welcome back sysrpl i was alway's impressed with the bare game engine even thought I never got it to compile. my fault really because I'm not using the trunk version of fpc. I am a little disappointed at the welcome you recieved, I think you deserve better. anyway it is good to see your back and I hope things go a little better this time.

@sysrpl
    First I would like to apologize for my initial skepticizm. As phibermon noted in one of his earlier posts there was a group in the past that tried to earn money on others hard work by offering slightly modified lazarus as their own product.
    I think that you can understand that pascal game development comunity can not afford to knowingly or unkowingly advertize such group as it would seriously hurt our image with rest of pascal comunities. That is the main reason why both phibermon and me who are staff members of PGD site reacted this way.
    I hope thee are no hard feeling from your toward us becouse of that.

Now in order for you to avoid rasing similar skepticizm with other pascal comunities or other pascal develoeprs I'm going to give you next few friendly recomendations:
    1. As phibermon also stated it would be good if on your sites (both GetLazarus and Bare Game) you clearly state that you are only providing modified versions of FPC and Lazarus projects which are mainly maintained by their developer groups. Don't forget to provide links to heir official websites.
    2. You should alow potential users to clearly see what changes have you made to both Lazarus and FPC before packing them into your project.
    3. You should clearly define intetnions of the comunity you are creating.
    4. You should post links to already existing comunities so it doesen't seem as you are trying to overtake them
    5. You should cmore clearly define what "consultation services" do you provide on how would that work. If you want to charge for these that is your choice but you should make potential users aware of this and how would the price be defined in such case.
    By folowing these sugestion I think you can greatly improve your image to the rest of the pascal comunity which I belive is something that you would want to do.

@SilverWarior;

Thank you for your considerate reply. We've been discussing things both on the official pascal+lazarus mailing lists, as well as on forum.lazarus.freepascal.org

What I suggested and and others agreed to was to, like any other wiki, provide extern hyper links, the ones with orange arrows next to them. These extern hyper links are keyed on the word "Lararus" linking it to www.lazarus.freepascal.org on any page the first time the word appears (unless it's bolded as a topic first). This same rule applies to "Free Pascal". With the help of some editors, we've already got this done.

With regards to the changes we've made to Lazarus, they are mostly covered in the What's New page. There are some technical details where I personally believe super user rights should not be required to install software if it can be avoided, and to this end I've made the installers always keep everything confined to one folder off your $HOME folder. Anything that needs to change is in that folder and it doesn't interfere with any other folder on your computer, save for optionally installing an easily accessible shortcut (totally optional). If you want to get rid of our bundle, just delete that one folder and it's gone. On Windows I do install create start menu items, just for convenience so users can go to Start and type "Laz" and see the words "Lazarus 1.4 Test". In that case running the uninstaller deleted the start menu folder as well.

Another point, all out changes are in changes.diff which is the preferred method to share modifications wit the Lazarus and the Free Pascal teams. The changes.diff comes with every install and is located in the root of the lazarus folder. On Linux we actually just ship the source and build everything for you, applying:

patch -p0 -i $BASE/lazarus/changes.diff

in our install script, which is hosted here github and clearly denoted on our site:

http://github.com/sysrpl/Codebot.Set...c-3.0.linux.sh

Now whether we are going to repeat everything stated above somewhere on getlazarus.org is being considered. I personally weigh in on No, as I prefer to keep things simple and unencumbered with unnecessary information for the majority of our visitors, though we haven't fully decided yet.

And finally, with regards to codetyphon, yes we are aware of them. Your concern is understandable and well founded. I don't know how to communicate any degree of trust on this issue other than to say, look at my previous work, look at the fact that I don't sell anything on any of my site, be they ads or software. All I can say is I understand your concern.
    Last edited by sysrpl; 05-02-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Ok my apologies also for my initial skepticism, I look forward to seeing links to the official project pages on your site. Given your commitment to open source and the Lazarus project itself, I'm sure you wouldn't want anybody to mistake getlazarus.org for the actual project pages, especially since you plan to monetize on the community with your consultation plans. It could easily be misconstrued as an attempt to mislead people, which given your comments you'd surely be horrified at the prospect of.

EDIT : I see you have now changed the front page and linked 'Lazarus' and 'Free Pascal' to the official project pages (it may help people if you included some text specifically stating that these are the official sites)

I wish you the best of luck with your initiative and I will try to put some time aside to provide technical assistance on the forums
    Last edited by phibermon; 05-02-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

12 years and that's the best you can come up with? aren't you the guy that 'makes' codetyphon?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast