Thread: fpman - manpages for free pascal

fpman - manpages for free pascal

If you're using Free Pascal under Linux, like me, you may have thought to yourself "damn, I wish I'd have something like man, but for Free Pascal". Well cry no more, fpman is here.

fpman works by doing crude string parsing on HTML docs generated by fpdoc and mutilating them info troff files. It then stores a list of pages in an SQLite database. After you import some docs, type in the name of the page you're interested in, and tadah!

Download: here
    Note: in case it wasn't obvious, this is a *nix-only tool.

Source: GitHub
    Available under the zlib license.

Nice idea.
    Though I think that documentation should be in code within comments to units/types/routines.

Version 1.2.0 was released today. Many improvements to the parser: const/var pages were improved greatly, especially for arrays, sets, records and math expressions; info pages are now supported (the syntax for tbl is terrible); also class members and properties shouldn't leak HTML. DB handling code was also sped up a bit.

@Mirage: yeah, but then you have to navigate to the declaration, unless you use an IDE which can scrape comments. For me, being able to type man something and have a manual page appear instantly is a blessing when working on UNIX-like systems.