Thread: Legacy DirectDraw Layer: wrapper that allows playing old games on new hardware

Post Legacy DirectDraw Layer: wrapper that allows playing old games on new hardware

These forums appear uncomfortably quiet lately, so let's try to post something...

I've finally decided to release one of earlier projects of mine, which unfortunately I couldn't fit into anything else; perhaps someone would be interesting in continuing this project.

Basically, we're talking about a project, which gets compiled into DirectDraw DLL (ddraw.dll), which you can then copy to main folder of one of your legacy games such as Starcraft, X-Com: Enemy Unknown or Wing Commander, and play the game on your desktop computer without intrusive visual glitches, screen resolution change (and the associated desktop mess up), etc. Optionally, you can even enable VSync (in code, and then recompile) if the game runs too fast.

What it does is to redirect old DirectDraw calls to a mini-library using Direct3D 11 provider from PXL to render the scene.

The whole thing is written in FreePascal / Lazarus and requires Pascal eXtended Library (previously it was using Asphyre). I have put all the stuff on LDL GitHub web page page, where you can get the source code and pre-compiled DLL. Hopefully, someone may find use in any of this....

Interesting!

Let me dig up Flight Unlimited 3 disc and see if I can get it working on Windows 7. I remember having graphical problems on Windows 7 due to direct draw incompatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    Hopefully, someone may find use in any of this....
    I have something in mind...

Thank you... LP... and great work...

Cool. That means I can still play some of my old games (GTA:VC, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, Borderlands...). Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    These forums appear uncomfortably quiet lately, so let's try to post something...
    Actually I planned to post something today too. Give me some minutes, may be one hour...
    No signature provided yet.