Thread: Retro Game Making

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    May I introduce http://Pulsar2d.org which is a game framework suitable for retro style games. It also depends on the SDL2 libraries but is easy to use:

• All rendering is based on SDL2 which gives you on most platforms hardware accelerated graphics.
    • Programming can be done with Lua 5.2 or Free Pascal 2.6.4/3.0.0 or FreeBASIC 1.0.4 and newer.
    • Simple animation system.
    • Simple particles system.
    • Simple usage of bitmap (pixel) fonts.
    • Multiple windows support.
    • A lot of built-in functions gives you access to graphics, sound and input.
    • Several helper functions for use with Lua.
    • Crossplatform development for Windows and Linux (MacOS in the near future, eventually in the far future RaspberryPi, Android and iOS).
    • It is 100% free and licensed under the zLib license, so you can use it for any purposes even for commercial ones.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    May I introduce http://Pulsar2d.org which is a game framework suitable for retro style games. It also depends on the SDL2 libraries but is easy to use:

• All rendering is based on SDL2 which gives you on most platforms hardware accelerated graphics.
    • Programming can be done with Lua 5.2 or Free Pascal 2.6.4/3.0.0 or FreeBASIC 1.0.4 and newer.
    • Simple animation system.
    • Simple particles system.
    • Simple usage of bitmap (pixel) fonts.
    • Multiple windows support.
    • A lot of built-in functions gives you access to graphics, sound and input.
    • Several helper functions for use with Lua.
    • Crossplatform development for Windows and Linux (MacOS in the near future, eventually in the far future RaspberryPi, Android and iOS).
    • It is 100% free and licensed under the zLib license, so you can use it for any purposes even for commercial ones.
    Thanks I'll check this out

Allegro 4 is also suitable for retro-style games, as it uses a classic API style. It isn't a game engine, so may be you'll need a bit more work than others, but I'm planning to port Action Arcade Adventure Set to it.

Allegro 5 has a more modern API, and Allegro.pas doesn't support it fully yet (it has a few issues).
    No signature provided yet.