Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pascal projects done with SDL 2.0 (or 1.2)

Pascal projects done with SDL 2.0 (or 1.2)

Hello, I'm looking for projects done in Pascal (Free Pascal, Object Pascal, or what other dialect you like) with SDL 1.2 or SDL 2.0 for my new project page. So please, if you are a project developer yourself or know a project, please let me know (here as a reply, via PM, via contact form of my website). The projects get promoted and the Pascal game development community will benefit I guess, so it's for good !

My c64 emulator http://www.micro64.de/ uses SDL 1.2 and SDL 2.0 (I'm using my own private SDL 2.0 pascal headers, which I've made 3-4 years ago, and which is usable for statically and dynamically linking) in each four binaries per target, 2x 32-bit (1x SDL 1.2 1x SDL 2.0), 2x 64-bit (1x SDL 1.2 1x SDL 2.0).

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=56465 from me uses also SDL 1.2.

And my BRTECH1 project ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...64CA3F3026E804 ) uses also SDL 2.0.

And my Supraleiter project ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Oak3nsC4UoaC4- ) uses also SDL 2.0.

And my rewipeout project ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI_jtU2kiQk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3i4B4rJY0 ) uses also SDL 2.0.

... I think, my project list with SDL will be too long for to list them here completely.
    Last edited by BeRo; 07-02-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks for the list. These are impressive projects. Could you estimate the influence of SDL in these games as a whole? I'm specifically looking for projects where SDL plays a key role.

... I think, my project list with SDL will be too long for to list them here completely.
    Maybe you could mention the three most impressive projects from your point of view where SDL plays a key role.

On my site (svgames.pl) I have a few projects using SDL1, that is:
    - Alexland, a 2D shooter a'la Crimsonland
    - platformer, a, well, platformer game (not really finished, got stuck at demo)
    - Colorful, a simple game originally made in 48h for Ludum Dare (+source)
    - Puzelki, a simple puzzle game

Right now I have some projects using SDL2 underway, but I prefer not to talk too much about them until I'm quite certain I'll be able to finish & deliver.

Thanks for the list. I'd be happy to add Alexland, Colorful and Puzelki. The source code of Platformer isn't released right? I've sent a PM to request further details on the projects.

I stay tuned to see what SDL2 projects are underway :-)!

It would be nice if you would take No One's Space in your list.
    I was guided by your code more then once over the years, while dealing with SDL 1.2 and SDL 2.0 ...

The game is already listed here in the forum (game section), but still under the old name Canopus.

We are currently waiting at Steam Greenlight, and we accept with gratitude all the help we can get: look here please.

Greetings

It'd be a pleasure to add the impressive No One's Space to the list! I wonder though, if it isn't more an OpenGL game than a SDL game (on the Steam page you mention OpenGL, OpenAL, no SDL though)? This is the same question I am stuck with for BeRo's impressive projects. I'm really interested in your thoughts about this (also BeRo's thoughts). E.g. if someone neutral asks you about your projects, would you answer "Yes, these are SDL games", or would you rather answer "Yes, these are OpenGL (or whatever) games"?

Hope you don't mind that I'm thinking about this rather seriously. If a game uses 95% other libraries, I wouldn't want the SDL showcase to fool visitors/readers/learners about what SDL is capable of and what not. - As a solution, I could think of a category "SDL assisted games", which would cover games which use SDL for crucial, yet minor parts (e.g. setting up an OpenGL context). Again, I'd be very interested in everybody's thoughts on this.

Anyway, I wish the best for your Greenlight period !

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    you mention OpenGL, OpenAL, no SDL though
    At that point a correction has to be done. SDL should be mentioned.

I'd be very interested in everybody's thoughts on this.
    Although the graphics are often in the foreground, it is for me as a game programmer only one aspect of many with which I have to deal. And the graphics do not even require the most work. OpenAL for example costs much more time and effort if you want to build a 3D sound channel management. And there are many other interfaces. Here is a list of categories in which SDL has been a great help:

• multiple displays
    • window management
    • Event handling
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    • joystick
    • game controller
    • force feedback
    • threads
    • timers

... for Windows, Mac and Linux.

So, I would say: this is an OpenGl Game, not DirectX. Or: this is an OpenAL Game, not FMOD.
    I think, SDL covers all inferfaces and does not compete with OpenGL or OpenAL.

Anyway, I wish the best for your Greenlight period !
    Thanks!

I really appreciated your response! I thought kind of the same way but you put it perfectly into words. I sent a PM .

Fairtris

Hello! Fairtris is a Tetris clone using SDL2.

fairtris1.png

fairtris2.png

See discussion here.

It works on Windows, and also on Linux with a small modification.

Regards.

Roland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast