Thread: Pascal projects done with SDL 2.0 (or 1.2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It would be nice if you would take No One's Space in your list.
    I was guided by your code more then once over the years, while dealing with SDL 1.2 and SDL 2.0 ...

The game is already listed here in the forum (game section), but still under the old name Canopus.

We are currently waiting at Steam Greenlight, and we accept with gratitude all the help we can get: look here please.

Greetings

It'd be a pleasure to add the impressive No One's Space to the list! I wonder though, if it isn't more an OpenGL game than a SDL game (on the Steam page you mention OpenGL, OpenAL, no SDL though)? This is the same question I am stuck with for BeRo's impressive projects. I'm really interested in your thoughts about this (also BeRo's thoughts). E.g. if someone neutral asks you about your projects, would you answer "Yes, these are SDL games", or would you rather answer "Yes, these are OpenGL (or whatever) games"?

Hope you don't mind that I'm thinking about this rather seriously. If a game uses 95% other libraries, I wouldn't want the SDL showcase to fool visitors/readers/learners about what SDL is capable of and what not. - As a solution, I could think of a category "SDL assisted games", which would cover games which use SDL for crucial, yet minor parts (e.g. setting up an OpenGL context). Again, I'd be very interested in everybody's thoughts on this.

Anyway, I wish the best for your Greenlight period !

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    you mention OpenGL, OpenAL, no SDL though
    At that point a correction has to be done. SDL should be mentioned.

I'd be very interested in everybody's thoughts on this.
    Although the graphics are often in the foreground, it is for me as a game programmer only one aspect of many with which I have to deal. And the graphics do not even require the most work. OpenAL for example costs much more time and effort if you want to build a 3D sound channel management. And there are many other interfaces. Here is a list of categories in which SDL has been a great help:

• multiple displays
    • window management
    • Event handling
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    • joystick
    • game controller
    • force feedback
    • threads
    • timers

... for Windows, Mac and Linux.

So, I would say: this is an OpenGl Game, not DirectX. Or: this is an OpenAL Game, not FMOD.
    I think, SDL covers all inferfaces and does not compete with OpenGL or OpenAL.

Anyway, I wish the best for your Greenlight period !
    Thanks!

I really appreciated your response! I thought kind of the same way but you put it perfectly into words. I sent a PM .

Fairtris

Hello! Fairtris is a Tetris clone using SDL2.

fairtris1.png

fairtris2.png

See discussion here.

It works on Windows, and also on Linux with a small modification.

Regards.

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Chastain View Post
    Hello! Fairtris is a Tetris clone using SDL2.
    Hey Roland,

sorry for the delayed response. Didn't notice this reply until now. Cool project, I will add it soon, maybe even today.

Regards
    Matthias