Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vulkan 1.0 released

Vulkan 1.0 released

Yesterday Khronos has released the first version of their Vulkan API, initially refferred as "Next Generation OpenGL initiative" (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8363/k...ngl-initiative).

Here is their website - https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/
    And here are some examples in C++ - https://github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan

anyone working on a free pascal version ?

I hope so, though I guess it will take a while until header translations appear.
    If anyone intends to make Pascal headers, it's worth mentioning that it might be easier to write a parser for their API Registry which is a XML and can be found here - https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulk...rc/spec/vk.xml (which would parse the xml and render a pascal header file), instead of manually translating the C headers.

I'll port the Vulkan headers to pascal on the weekend, because primary for my own usage.

Quote Originally Posted by BeRo View Post
    I'll port the Vulkan headers to pascal on the weekend, because primary for my own usage.
    Awesome. You're the man BeRo!

Unfortunately, all my hardware is a generation before what supports Vulkan. So time to scrape some cash and buy new hardware.
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by BeRo View Post
    That would be cool, man

Earlier today I too tried to make translations. I passed the headers through the GCC preprocessor and then through h2pas. With various hand modifications they succeeded to compile in Free Pascal, but the preprocessor has stripped the comments.
    But it turned out that both of my video cards doesn't support Vulkan so I won't be able to test them.. until I get a new one. So this puts end to my attempts for now.

Anyway I have attached the files which I managed to produce, in case they make use for anyone
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Anton; 19-02-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Where can I find information about which graphics cards do support Vulkan?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Where can I find information about which graphics cards do support Vulkan?
    The wikipedia page lists what drivers/platforms and what hardware is supported.
    Existence is pain

It seems that I do won a graphics card capable of running Vulkan. But in order to do this I need to install beta version of drivers which does not have support for DirectX so they would probably break just about everything else.
    Therefore I'm deciding whether I should wait a bit for official drivers to came out by which time a Pascal headers might also be done already. Or should I go and install a secondary OS as dual bot to test this out right away.

Any way during my research about Vulkan I ran into some very interesting information. one of the authors of the original C++ based examples is PGD member Sascha Willems
    So BeRo I think it would be very beneficial if you two join forces for making of Pascal based headers for Vulkan.

So, my vk.xml-to-Pascal-Unit-Translator is now in progress (which've already over 3k of code lines, since I'm using my own small XML parser as inlined code), which should be done in 1-3 days. I'll put this translator then on GitHub under the zlib license, when it's done and working.

You can generate your own most up-to-date Vulkan headers with this translator then yourself just in a few milliseconds.
    Last edited by BeRo; 22-02-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast