Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
Wait only now did I realize that you need this only for boxes and not more complex 3D objects.
This actually makes things a lot easier because such box can be composed either from 6 individual images (each image for each box face) or one image representing extruded box which can then simply be projected onto the box for rendering.
I think you almost got it. The "almost" is due to the fact that the box can have less than 6 sides.

Let's say you want to make a lid-less box. This would have only 5 sides.

Let's also say that this lid-less box has internal separators, one vertical, one horizontal. Now you have a lid-less box that has 4 compartments in it.

Let's also say that those separators are lower than the top of the box, because you want to have a slide in lid.

Hope this makes it clearer.

So in terms of the 3D model, I'm thinking I can have the 2D contour of each side with the ply thickness extruded.
Translate said sides/separators into a box and then spit out a 3D model.
The "skin" is pretty much a single colour. Don't know if a map on it or just a material.
Well, these are the basic premises you use in OpenSCAD. Don't really know if this can work in a "generic" 3D Model Viewer context.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
So if I understood you correctly you are making a software [to design] these 3D boxes right?
Pretty much.

You start by setting the units: mm/inch.
Thickness of the laser safe plywood: most common is 3mm or 6mm.
Then you set if measurements are inside or outside.
You then input Width, Height, Length of the box.
Decide on what type/size the "notches" will be.
This will give you a TreeView of your Box as root and the Sides as children.
You can add separators, and these will show on the TreeView as well.
You can then select each of those nodes on the TreeView and manipulate further.

Once you're happy with your design, you export to SVG. What this software exports is a bi-dimensional vector image of the sides and/or separators.
If you're happy with the layout exported it's just a 4 step thing: Import into InkScape; Export to DXF; Import into Laser Software; Cut.

Since I'm not really into doing a DXF exporter, you need use InkScape to export your DXF.
Most, if not all, laser cutter software works with a DXF importer.
Unfortunately the commercial laser cutters come with proprietary software and each one has it's own obscure/proprietary internal format.

My HackSpace goes through many of such box designs, and it's a PITA to then have to mess around inside InkScape (Not really a box design tool) to customise the generic 6 side box that most of the online helpers produce.

That's my main drive, anyway