Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the name of the concept of scripting in a Sim/RTS type of game?

Quote Originally Posted by gcarreno View Post
    After a little bit of searching on https://gamedev.stackexchange.com I found a mention to Finite State Machines (FSM) and it clicked immediately!!!

DUH!! Of course that's what I want. Why didn't it occurred to me initially is still a mystery
    Hey don't be to hard on yourself. I also had to sleep over before I realized I should recommend you to use one of state machine designs. But I see you already figured that out by yourself

Any way.
    I also wanted to say that wile you are searching for state machine examples you should note that most of them are only showing the simplest state machine examples with very low complexity like general game state (whether you are in main menu, is game loading or is the game in progress for instance).
    But the state machine that you will need for your game will probably need to have much higher complexity. But don't let that discourage you.

Also you might want to check Decision_tree and Behavior_tree concepts.
    Now while these two concepts are most often used for implementing AI they can also be used for controlling your game state.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarreno View Post
    I've downloaded your code and
    Code:
    sudo apt install liballegro5
    but for some reason it's not able to initialise the allegro stuff.

Any hints on how to debug it?

Cheers,
    Gus
    You need to install the dev versions too (liballegro5-dev) as well as the addons. Also see what SilverWarrior said.

Note that Momen3D use an old Allegro version (5.0, not 5.2).
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Check the latest post in http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...Momen-3d/page5 for possible solution.

That page of the thread talks about new installs of XUbuntu and debug flag on the compile.

I'm on an Ubuntu 16.10, up to date and with open source video drivers. Hopefully it's not that.

Tried the debug -dDEBUGMODE but I still have a very non explanatory: Error initializing Allegro.

So I can't even tell you what specifically went wrong on the al_init call.

If I have time and patience, I'll probably fire up Lazarus to debug the thing.

Cheers,
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    You need to install the dev versions too (liballegro5-dev) as well as the addons. Also see what SilverWarrior said.
    Well, I thought as much and did install liballegro5-dev, dunno why I didn't use that in the prior post.
    Ok, now about the addons? You thrown me on this since I've never used allegro for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    Note that Momen3D use an old Allegro version (5.0, not 5.2).
    Ok, if the addons is not the thing, then the version might be an issue. Ubuntu 16.10 is installing 5.2

Cheers,
    Gus

Hey don't be to hard on yourself. I also had to sleep over before I realized I should recommend you to use one of state machine designs. But I see you already figured that out by yourself
    Thanks !!!

Any way.
    I also wanted to say that wile you are searching for state machine examples you should note that most of them are only showing the simplest state machine examples with very low complexity like general game state (whether you are in main menu, is game loading or is the game in progress for instance).
    But the state machine that you will need for your game will probably need to have much higher complexity. But don't let that discourage you.
    That's good advice. Thanks!

I usually don't do much copy/paste type of coding, mainly because if I don't understand what I'm pasting my hives flare up like a bad case of poison ivy
    If I don't understand it I can't master it, and if I don't master it it's gonna be deleted and replaced by something I do understand and can maintain, so why not just understand the damn thing before I get into bugs I can't squash cuz I just pasted some code like a script kiddy

Also you might want to check Decision_tree and Behavior_tree concepts.
    Now while these two concepts are most often used for implementing AI they can also be used for controlling your game state.
    I've also stumbled on BT's and I still need to get e better grasp on that. I'll probably need it for some other game that has some resemblance of AI.
    Decision trees is a subject that I think I grok, but will have to have a go at your link to see if my mental model coincides with it.

Cheers,
    Gus

Don't worry if you can't build it. Actually, IIRC, most people couldn't then.

[off-topic]
    I'm thinking, since the PGD Engine project is dead (is it?) may be I should update the engine I created for that project to the latest Allegro, fix bugs and do some improvements and donate it.
    No signature provided yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12