Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
Unfortunately the hosting contract for PGD is up for renewal and I've been asking myself what to do about it. With no major projects, no competitions, no regular flow of content (aside from forum activity), I've been contemplating moving the site to my own server to save money. That will mean slower page serve times and the possibility of bandwidth caps.
I guess I could conjure a few shekels. What are the running costs, currently? Also, can you give some numbers on the site's disk & bandwidth usage? We could look at what the various hosting providers are offering and maybe choose something less taxing.

If every regular visitor wrote one article a year (two would be better), we'd have bags of content
Sure. What kind of content would you like to see, though? I don't think another "Pascal from square one" tutorial would be very useful, as there's a ton of those on the internet. "Any" content isn't the way - quality content is. Although yeah, often bad content is better than no content.
Sorry if this sounds condescending, but it's a serious question. The primary reason I don't have a blog is I don't really think of anything I do as particularly interesting nor challenging, thus there's no incentive to write about it.

Would you like to have a PGD team enter say Ludum Dare?
Instead of a PGD team, just have people join Ludum Dare individually and then we can have a mini-competition for the best LD game by a PGD visitor.

Do you want a community project to get involved in? If so, what?
An engine is a really broad subject; maybe have something more focused? Like "let's make a platformer". Try to agree on basic design principles, and then collaborate via Bitbucket / GitHub. The code will probably be far from an architectural masterpiece, with individual fragments being added on-the-go and glued together - but I'd say an approach like this has a way bigger chance of shipping. Less focus on getting the design 100% right, more focus on making stuff work and shipping.