Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
The project failed because people couldn't agree, it was overly ambitious and ultimately only one person contributed any sizeable amount of code.
No, the project failed because it was doomed since beginning - the article "Write Games Not Engines" that I've linked explains why.

What's out there that is well documented, under active development and isn't reliant on a single developer?
Maybe you could actually state why do you feel that existing engines/frameworks do not suit YOUR needs? That is, name a specific framework/engine name and the problems that you have with it. There are authors of frameworks/engines participating on these forums, myself included, so we'll likely be able to answer for ourselves and address the issues that you may have.

Granted, there are some engines like ZenGL that were officially discontinued (and it's sad as Andrey is a very talented developer, I hope he's alright and going strong), but please, there are plenty more that are recent and active.

This is the hole I was hoping we might, as a community, be able to fill.
I think this is where you are wrong - in fact, I think, there is a market saturation, so there are TOO MANY framework/engines to choose from, it'll be quite hard to find any hole to fill. I can't say for anyone else, but at least in my case, the framework that I've published and have been maintaining since 1999 (for almost 18 years already) is just part of the common code that is shared among my own projects, and it is a part of my business plan (consulting), it wasn't made just for the fun of it, but it came as side-effect (result) of developing other products. In addition to helping anyone else, I actually make good money with it.