Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
Firemonkey? sad.
You are suggesting Firemonkey. Seriously? It doesen't ment any criteria that AthenaOfDelphi specified.

• Yes it is actively maintained but the problem is that FMX is not focusing on game development but instead of standard desktop/mobile application development. Also FMX isn't up to date with latest API's. And since we are talking about API's the main problem of FMX is that on windows it uses DirectX and on other platforms OpenGL, meaning that there is no guarantee that applications developed with FMX will handle the same way on all supported platforms.
  • While FMX is maintained by multiple developers the problem is that their response time to bug reports is quite slow. Just check Embarcadero Quality Portal for many FMX based bug reports where some of them are even more than a year old.
  • As for FMX documentation. I'm afraid to tell you that it is terrible. I mean how can you say that certain documentation is good if checking documentation for some component properties actually shows you documentation similar property of one of the parent components. Or even worse when you get "Embarcadero does not have any additional information on this subject"
  • As for examples goes. Those that are available are again not focused on game development but on standard application development.

And main reason why I personally would not recommend FMX for game development to anyone. It is its rather poor performance.
Wanna see how poor performance it has? Create a new FMX project, place 100 panels on the form, compile, run and while running just do some rapid mouse movements across the form and observe the CPU usage.
On my 7 years laptop with 2 GHz AMD Turion X2 CPU and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphic card having 100 panels on FMX form and doing rapid mouse movements I can cause full usage of one of the cores and FPS drops below 20. Now imagine what FPS drops I would be encountering in actual game where I would have to do a lot of other processing. And before you start saying that this is just because my laptop is worth s*** I should mention that on this laptop I can play Far Cry 3 on medium settings with average of 40 to 50 FPS .