Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So whatever happened to the whole PGDCE thing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    Uh, why are you still using FPC 2.6.4?
    Is very stable.

Trunk and 3.0.0 compilers, on the other hand, crash with internal errors trying to build my project (I reported many a bug). It seems that that was fixed in 3.0.2 but I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure when something crashes it's a problem in my mindscrewy code, not in the compiler or RTL.
    I had very bad experience of spending several months on difficult debugging and practically had my project die due to my confidence failing -- all because of a faulty tool causing random *unrelated* crashes.
    Let's say I would be boasting the first multi-threaded first-person shooter for DOS in human history (made in 1998 ) if not for that faulty piece of excrement. It killed my motivation.
    Since then I ONLY use stable tools. So, until the managers of Debian Stable say it's okay by raising its FPC over 2.6.4... Just no.
    I carefully prepare my code to move over to 3.0.x and periodically test if it compiles, of course, but not yet.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Chebmaster : having developed cross platform code using FPC for a number of years, I've encountered many bugs, usually OS specific. I'd recommend that you build on at least two operating systems - It helps to identify the source of problems, to eliminate common code etc.

I've found FPC 3.0.x to be very stable, my code is working on all the OSes I currently support and it touches everything you'd expect from a modern engine - I had a few issues with 2.6.x.

There may be some issues that were introduced perhaps but don't dismiss it entirely just in case you spend ages trying to get round a bug that was later fixed - which is a more likely scenario.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12