Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snarlhill defender

Snarlhill defender

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ji187...1d/Release.zip

Simple game with nice music & global high score list.
    Last edited by Thyandyr; 16-05-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Can you upload this to a place where I don't have to submit my email address to download? Such as mega, dropbox, google drive
    Existence is pain

Hi!
    I can't say for others but I definitely am not prepared to share my e-mail address with filehosting.org in order to be able to tryout your game. Especially not because past filehosting.org reputation for hosting various questionable content.
    So you might consider hosting your game elsewhere.

I guess requirement for entering valid e-mail address is probably just an attempt by filehosting.org to get rid of some questionable content but still I don't trust them.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 16-05-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Will do...

Megaupload asks too many questions
    Drop box wants me to download something
    Google drive... no
    Mediafire, ok this works.

Initial post updated!

PS. It's good to have email address that can be given out to questionable services. One that is not used for anything, on a provider that you are never logged in to.
    Last edited by Thyandyr; 17-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.

This is why 10 minute e-mail servers were deployed.

Anyway, there are a lot of platforms to host sofware releases as SourceForge*, GitHub, GameJolt, itch.io, etc.

[edit]
    I've downloaded it and I must to say I miss a lot of things. You should add some documentation. Just a README file with a brief description, license information (this is a must!) and contact information (this is also a must!) would be enough.

I also miss some information as developer. Did you use Delphi or Free Pascal? What libraries and/or engine did you use? Is it finished or you're still working on it? Do you plan to port/release it on other platforms (Linux, Android, consoles...)?

[edit2]
    Tested. It didn't work. Can't play mp3 sound (?).

* I know SF has a very bad reputation, but new owners are doing a great job cleaning it. Really.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 17-05-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    No signature provided yet.

Good to hear SourceForge is cleaning up their act. I've forgotten the details but had an unpleasant experience there a couple of years ago.

Agree with thyandyr that it's good to have a separate e-mail for such siters.

Can't try the game now. Will hopefully find time in a couple of weeks.

Keep up the good work!

I didn't do it for any proper purpose really, just for my own fun so I didn't include any info other than what is displaying in-game. But yeah since you asked; it is done with Delphi FMX. 'Do whatever you like'-license. And I've only posted it here so contact is solved. But yeah, points taken in case I ever do something more serious.

I have just tried your game and found several bugs in it.
    1. When writing your name in the main menu pressing W or S moves main menu selection Ur or Down respectively. You should change your code so that when player is changing their name alphabet character movement bindings are ignored. My suggestion for doing this nicely is to force player to pres enter when on "Select Player Name" menu selection to start editing the name at which point you disable all standard binding. For player to confirm new name he should press Enter again. Or he could press ESC in order to abort changing the player name. In both cases you enable back standard key bindings.
    2. When playing the game often some part the ground tiles on the right side would not render at all so there would be just some blue area where ground tiles should be.
      Missing tiles.jpg
    3. Looking at background image (one with hill and house) I'm guessing you might have tried to implement some Parallax Scrolling but the image is always stays centered which in turn prevents player from understanding of how to take badgers to the house for safety.
    4. Your ground textures also doesn't seem to be aligned properly- It seems that they are overlapping each other which results in disturbed non-continuous pattern.
    5. After dying when game tries to upload the high-score to global server if there is no internet connection or if your game is being blocked by firewall you end up in endless loop of "Socket error" exceptions so the game need to be forcibly killed. You should limit the number of upload attempt your application tries before it gives up.

I also have a small request.
    When I was fidling with FMX in the past to see if it could be used for game development I must admit that I was very disappointed with its performance. So could you please add FPS counter functionality so I can see if its performance might have been improved in recent versions.

Thanks for the feed back.

I tried fix 1) but just got bored since I couldn't fix it immediately. I'm aware of 2) but don't know why it is happening. 3) The game is this way just since I love doing things 'the wrong' way. 4. Agree it looks crap but again, I got bored. 5. This proably should actually be fixed, no one likes hanged aps in full-screen! I could add FPS in case I ever work on this again.

Anyway I just posted it here to see if there is any life in this forum, positively surprised by the activity!

Played for a bit. Gameplay wise it could be fun with more variety. It's simplistic, so not much to say. A few observations, perhaps for something your make in the future.
    - Not sure why health and score are in the background and hidden by trees.
    - The fishes can come too close together, which doesn't allow to kill the second fish because vigor doesn't regenerate quickly enough. This may seem unfair to players as it's unavoidable no matter the skill.
    - Add an option to turn off the music
    - Maybe provide additional visual feedback when losing a life other than a sound (cam shake).
    Existence is pain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast