Thread: Bryed 3d (1998) postmortem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If only I had Internet back then
    So much time spent on trivial things like figuring how to make Sound Blaster work

using spites as physical layers and what not - I'm very impressed!
    The idea stuck me in 1995. I made a simple demo of projecting spruce sprites in pseudo 3d and I thought: it could work!

Sadly, without knowledge and understanding of texel fillrate 386 SX 40 proved to be too slow to draw a large castle at acceptable fill rate. I thought it'd run Ok on a 486 DX 100... But no.
    Only P 266 and up proved to be enough. But by then it was too late for such technologies.

Because, without a depth buffer all sprites have to be drawn in order, back-to-front, and with sprites for horizontal surfaces having about 12 variations for various angles, and each different sprite requiring an EMS page switch... Yeah.

BECAUSE ALL OF THEM ARE 128x128 BECAUSE I WAS TOO LAZY TO PROGRAM NORMAL compression algorithms sprites like DooM uses.
    On the other hand, when you have to exit the IDE to try anything you changed and each honest mistake necessitates a reboot (no try..except in Turbo Pascal) How I even did what I did?
    Last edited by Chebmaster; 15-08-2017 at 05:08 AM.