Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thyandyr's voxel engine

Yeah this is one of the issues I will address next.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyandyr View Post
    (...) Not all of the source is nice yet. (...)
    I did a fast read and it looks much nicer than most other open sourced projects out there. It is even possible to figure the purpose of each unit!

Keep it.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebmaster View Post
    Is any sort of LOD planned?
    I mean, those chunks missing their meshes: it would look nicer if instead of holes you rendered solid "plugs" as high as the highest block of the chunk missing its mesh yet. Then retract them into the ground smoothly after the mesh is generated.
    Also, there could be other ways: (Planet Explorers had this implemented): LODs like, in the distance meshes are built by joining 8 adjacent blocks into one -- this way you can have a 4-chunk LOD mesh at the price of one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    I did a fast read and it looks much nicer than most other open sourced projects out there. It is even possible to figure the purpose of each unit!

Keep it.
    Wow nice to hear. Especially since I consider the code quite messy. I am learning as I go, so some of it is at 'unclean' state. But as I get more comfortable with these things, the codebase also gets cleaner.

I have been having busy times during holidays and now at work... but good sign is that I am looking forward to when I get to work on the engine.

I will next concentrate on world class, and with that it allows smarter order of creating the chunks. Recursive chunk creation following the earth surface, so we can skip all chunks in the sky and underground, and thus be much faster and avoid the 'holes' that Chebmaster pointed out, and create underground in the background.

Then perhaps few more terrain types to make it a bit less unpleasant to look at. After that I guess would be the fun part of adding a bit variation to the landscape creation.
    Last edited by Thyandyr; 10-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Damn Rimworld. Had to uninstall it. Maybe progress ahad?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234