Thanks for suggestions and tips.

While searching for solutions I really did stumble upon both the fpcupdeluxe and the apt install method. Fpcupdeluxe sure got a lot of praise and is no doubt useful but I never managed to make it work. Probably because I'm Pi noob. The apt install worked somewhat better but there was some issue on my system., can't remember which one. Might have used some variation of the command, from some forum.

Anyway after reading various forums it seems I am not the only one experiencing difficulties with Lazarus on Pi. So I'm just describing how I tackled the situation. Maybe that can help some other clueless programer out there, if they run into problems with fpcupdeluxe. Not the best possible solution but the best I can do at the moment. As you wrote: workable. That will have to do for me for now.

I totally agree on your praise for the Raspberry Pi. Indeed an amazing little device. The very modest power use is helpful too.

I'm glad to see you too chose the 32-bit.. Seems to be the right choice for now.

The Castle Game Engine seems impressive. Well done! I have of course stumbled upon it in various forums, but never tried it, I'm afraid. So little time and so much to do...