Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
something Intel calls package temperature.
That thing is quite treacherous. I was monitoring my laptop for more than a decade with SpeedFan in Win7. There are three temps, ACPI, Intel Core 0 and Intel Core 1. The acpi one follows the core 0 graph closely, a bit more smoothed, with core 1 colder, zigzagging likewise a bit below them. No notable surprises in this behavior in 10 years.

Then, suddenly, I play Brutal Doom and get a huuge overdraw and fps slowdown: it's Intel integrated gpu and I am guarding a doorway rushed by half the monsters on the map (random map generator sometimes makes things FUN), like 300 spartans with a bfg. Of course the doorway gets splattered over with so many layers of blood decals it brings Intel HD 3000 to its knees.

But there's the interesting part: I look at the graph and suddenly see this "package temperature" soaring towards 90C, away from the cores steadily zigzagging around 75.
Conclusion: it's the only sensor that takes gpu into consideration - and that gpu *could* heat up horribly in rare, rare circumstances.
I'd provide a screenshot (a screnshot is worth a thousand words) but my site's Let'sEncrypt config is broken and I am still too lazy to fix it.

Real use cases, wild and woolly, always have untold number of surprises in store.